Denaby Utd – Sheffield Wednesday Res 1 Denaby 2 – Beat Owlerton Side 3 Times

January 1906

Mexborough & Swinton Times January 6, 1906

Wednesday Reserve  1 v Denaby United.2

At Owlerton Denaby played good football, Lavery being conspicuous, and that the end of 10 minutes, as a result of the capital forward movement, Docherty scored for the visitors.

The game hereabouts was much in Denaby’s favour.

On resuming, Lawley, the visitors captain, was guilty of a distinct foul on Morrison, who had to retire, while Lawley was sent off the field.

Just as Morrison returned after 15 minutes absence, a tremendous struggle was taking place in the Denaby goal, but eventually the ball rolled just past the post of a corner.

Wednesday again attacked and Reynolds put in a very deceptive shot which completely beat Hancock. Denaby from the restart, got away with a rush, and Docherty almost scored with a fast shot.

Denaby again took the attack, Heppinstall forcing a corner, from which the ball was rushed past Swift. The visitors taking the lead

Denaby at Owlerton.

The third encounter this season between Denaby United and Sheffield Wednesday Reserve took place on Saturday.

Denaby had already two victories to their credit, but having on each occasion of their success against the Sheffield side they had the advantage of the ground, Saturdays engagement was a very open affair to look at.

The Sheffielders expected a win, but they were disappointed for Denaby had the unique distinction of beating Wednesday reserves three times. The manner in which the colliery team had made it their particular business to knock Wednesday out whenever they met them suggest to me the possibility that they have never forgiven Wednesday for taking the Wharncliffe Cup on goal average last season.

Be this as it may however, Denaby United have always reserved their best game for their encounters with the “Blades.” On Saturday Wednesday Reserve put in all they knew, the players taking a personal interest in the result. But Denaby met them with a fine consistency equal to their own.

In the first half Denaby were by long chalks the better balanced side. Their attack was smarter, and their defence perfect. They ought to have held more than a single goal lead at the interval, and undoubtedly would have done so but for a wonderful display in goal by Jarvis.

In the second half Wednesday reserves had more of the game, but after they had equalised Denaby came again, ultimately winning a remarkable game by two goals to one. There was a period in the second half when things looked black for Denaby, but then it was Handcock proved his worth as a goalkeeper.

The game unfortunately was marred by an “incident” between Lawley and Morrison, which led to the latter having to retire, and the former being sent off the field. The Denaby captain looks like being given a rest for a week or so. The “Sheffield Telegraph” which may be prejudiced describe Lawler’s offence as a desperate foul.