Denaby Utd – Denaby 2, Heanor Town 4 – Result Never in Doubt

January 1965

South Yorkshire Times January 16th 1965

Result Never in Doubt

Denaby United 2, Heanor Town 4

Denaby United can have few complaints about their 4-2 Midland League defeat by a talented Heanor Town side at Tickhill Square on Saturday.
Indeed, the home side were well beaten by the last team to give them a point – for a 1-1 draw at Heanor in November. After the first 20 minutes of Saturday’s match, there was little question of Denaby repeating last year’s achievement. It was more a matter of how many goals the visitors would score.
Denaby as usual started well, with newcomer SMART marking his debut with a seventh minute goal that no doubt raised the hopes of the 100 or so home supporters who braved the driving rain. It was a chance well taken by the right half, as a pass from the right found him 18 yards out.
United did their best to consolidate their lead and contain the Heanor forwards, but the left wing pair, Swann and Simcoe, and centre-forward Ridler, were having none of it. Inevitably the equaliser came in the 21st minute, as Simcoe put a slide-rule pass onto SWANN’S toes. The left-winger stumbled, then shot home.


SIMCOE added a second from the penalty spot after a 30th minute pushing offence, and a third from a well-placed corner five minutes later.
Denaby can thank Bolwell for some courageous saves that kept the Heanor score down to three for the remainder of the first half and the start of the second. The home defence had little in the way of an answer to Heanor’s persistent raids, and for once Hinton was not in command.
Heanor’s fourth came in the 75th minute, after Bolwell had palmed away one shot. Heanor quickly had the ball back in the centre to BROADHURST, who gave the Denaby keeper no second chance.
Even though they were three goals in arrears, Denaby did not give up the ghost. Inside forwards Smith and Whittaker plugged away unceasingly against the odds. Twice Smith split Heanor’s defence, in the 53rd minute, when his shot had Ashmore grovelling, and in the 77th minute, when he pushed the ball through to WHITTAKER, who slipped his shot under Ashmore for Denaby’s second goal.

Teams and ratings:

DENABY: Bolwell 7, Wroe 6, Foster 6, Smart 7, Hinton 6, Woodger 6, Kelly 6, Smith 7, Hanby 6, Whittaker 8, Harvey 6.
HEANOR: Ashmore 7, Norris 7, Chamberlain 7, Leadbeater 7, Swift 8, Needham 7, Fowler 7, Broadhurst 7, Ridler 8, Simcoe 9, Swann 8.