Dispute at Conisborough Cliff Works – Quarrymen’s Strike

January 1935

Mexborough and Swinton Times November 1

Quarrymen’s Strike
Dispute at Conisborough Cliff Works

A large proportion of the employees at the lime quarries at Butterbusk of the Conisborough Cliff Co Ltd were involved in a strike which was declared at the works on Monday evening

About 60 men, who reside in Conisborough, Denaby, Edlington and Doncaster “came out”

The men’s grievance was that the company, they alleged, had refused to consider or allow negotiations in respect of an application for an increase in wage rates for piece work  made by the men’s organisation, the National Union of General and Municipal Workers, on their behalf on September 27. Letters have since passed between management and union but no meeting was arranged. The application effects the men in numbers one and two quarries, believed to total about 50

Peaceful picketing took place on Tuesday, and during the morning the strikers, at a meeting at Three Horse Shoes Hotel, Conisborough were addressed by Alderman Fred Marshall, of Sheffield and Mr R.M.Stevenson of Doncaster

The meeting was held in private and lasted nearly 2 hours. At the close Mr Stevenson inform the Press that the men had unanimously agreed to continue the strike into the management of negotiations on the wage increase question

Ald Marshall told a “times” reported that in his address to the men he had described the company’s alleged attitude in refusing to meet the union on the matter as “antiquated” and at least hundred years out of date

About 50 men were present at the meeting

It is reported that a number of non-unionists struck in sympathy. These non-units were invited, it is alleged, when they arrived at the quarries on Tuesday morning, to perform work ordinarily done by the strikers, but refused unless the quarries this

Mr J Middleton Walker, secretary and general manager of the Cliff Company told our reporter the cause of the dispute was “recognition of the Union”

A Temporary Settlement

On Wednesday representatives of the Union met representatives of the company and a temporary settlement was negotiated. The terms of the settlement were communicated to the men yesterday by Ald Marshall and Mr Stevenson, both of whom adviser meant that set the tone resume work. The men agreed and work will be resumed this morning (Friday)