Sheffield Independent – Saturday 17 January 1891
Ecclesiastical Affairs at Denaby Main
The village of Denaby Main is now an ecclesiastical parish.
Formally, religious requirements of the plaice were attended to by the Vicars of Mexborough and Conisbrough, but Mr J Buckingham Pope, the managing director of the local colliery, has been instrumental in the securing the services of the Rev. W H Butler, late senior curate at Saint Mary’s, Ilkeston, the late Archbishop having agreed to Denaby Main being a conventional parish of its own.
A mission church as existed in the village for some time, but this is now considered totally inadequate for the requirements of the population, which numbers about 3,000.
Plans are being prepared for enlarged church.
The curate in charge has already become popular among the parish, notwithstanding he has only been there about a week.
Mr Chambers, manager of the colliery, has organised a choir for the church services.