Mexborough and Swinton Times May 24, 1895
Fatal Burning Case at Conisborough
An inquest was held at the Montagu Cottage Hospital Mexborough on Tuesday afternoon, on the body of Margaret Phillips, who had died at the institution from the effects of burns.
Mr D Wightman was the coroner Mr G Crossland was the foreman of the jury.
The first witness were Jarret Phillips, of Clifton Street, new Conisborough, miner, father of the deceased, who was aged four years and five months, was burnt about 7 o’clock on Sunday morning, while witness and his wife were in bed.
The fire had been kept in all night. The deceased had been sleeping in the back room. She was heard to go downstairs. He heard a scream and at once ran downstairs. He found the child nightdress in flames. Assisted by his wife the fire was put out. He fetched a surgeon from new Conisborough, Dr Gilchrist, and the mother also came. He thought it best to take the child to the Mexborough hospital. That was about four hours afterwards.
The child died about midnight on Sunday.
By the coroner: The child said she was trying to reach a pair of new stockings on the line over the fireplace when she got on fire. She had not been in the habit of going down to light the fire. The child was insured for 1d week in the Pearl Insurance Office and he was entitled to £3 10s, the child not being in full benefit.
A verdict of “accidental death” was returned.