Fatal Colliery Accident – Michael Burke

September 1881

Sheffield Independent, September 6th, Michael Burke

Fatal Colliery Accident at Denaby Yesterday afternoon an inquest was held at the Reresby arms, Denaby, before Mr Dossey Wightman, on the body of a tram, named Michael Burke, whose death and resulted from injuries received at the Denaby main colliery, on the Thursday previous. Mr Wardell, inspector mice were South Yorkshire, was present. From the evidence it appeared that the accident happened in number 34 stall. Deceased was filling a corve when another corve ran upon him. The colliding corve was running down an incline, and when he got to what is known as the “flat sheets,” it suddenly jumped up, through the rails being of different sizes. The “locker” then fell out, and the corve turned on to the wrong line – the one on which deceased was working. He died the next day. A verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned. It is thought compensation will be claimed under the employers liability act.

Mexborough and Swinton Times, September 9.

Fatal Accident at Denaby Main Colliery.

An inquest was held at the Reresby Arms, Denaby, on Monday afternoon, before Mr Dossey Wightman, coroner, touching the death of a trammer, named Michael Burke, a single man, who had died from injuries received in the Denaby Main Colliery on the Thursday previous

The enquiry was attended by Mr Wardell, Her Majesty┬┤s Inspector of Mines for South Yorkshire.

From the evidence of the witnesses it appeared that the injuries to diseased were caused by a corve running into him, whilst he was engaged filling another one, in what is known as number 34 stall.

The corve which collided was in the bottom bank and was going down somewhat of an incline. When it got to the “flat sheets,” he suddenly Springwell, the “locker” fell out and the corve ran in a contrary direction, having turned upon the line, in which diseased was standing. The cause of the sudden jerk was said to be on account of the rails not being of equal size.

It was said that the deceased might have had time to get out of the way of the approaching tub, but he seemed so taken by surprise that he was immovable.

When it got up to him it crushed him against the corve he was filling, and those miners were there were astonished that he was not killed on the spot. As it was, he managed to walk after the tub had been removed, with the assistance of a Collier, and was taken to the cabbin. He then appeared to be so slightly hurt that he was left. Eventually he was helped into the cage and drawn to the top of the shaft.

In getting into the fresh air he felt very sick and vomited two or three times before he was removed to his home, being carried there by some of his mates. The medical man was sent for immediately, and he found that the sufferer, have received severe internal injuries. He succumbed on the following day.

A verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned