Fire at Denaby Main.

April 1899

Sheffield Evening Telegraph – Wednesday 26 April 1899

Fire at Denaby Main.

The Mexborough Fire Brigade received a call to a fire at Denaby Main at 11.55 last night.

It appears that at 11.30 p.m. a fire was discovered a lock up wooden shop used by Mr. George Thomas Cooke, of Mexborough, in the grocery business. The flames rapidly spread to the next erection, the occupation of Messrs. Edwards and Co., drapers, which place was partially burnt down. A fried fish and chip potato shop also belonging to Cooke was pulled down to prevent the flames from spreading.

The brigade had to get water in buckets from a tap close by, and everything was in order by 2.30 a.m. The shop in which the fire originated burned down, and the windows of some of the shops further on were broken. Considerable damage was done stock by fire and water. The places are insured for small amounts.

Had there been a strong wind no doubt the flames would have reached St. Chad’s Church, which is situate at the east end of the wooden erections.