Flown From Tripoli – Denaby Guardsman’s Dash to Father’s Bedside

October 1951

South Yorkshire Times, October 6th, 1951

Flown From Tripoli

Denaby Guardsman’s Dash to Father’s Bedside

With his father dangerously ill in Fullerton Hospital, Denaby, a young Guardsman serving in Tripoli was given 32 days’ leave and hurriedly flown home to the hospital bedside.  Now the father, 59 years old Mr. Frederick Bromfield, of 28, Adwick Street, Denaby, is improving, a condition he attributes to his son’s daily visits since his arrival in England on Saturday.

The request for the flight to England was made by Mr. Bromfield’s daughter, Miss Maise Bromfield, who consulted with the Matron at the hospital.  Miss Brighton, and the War Office, when she found her father’s condition was becoming serious.

Packed Hurriedly

In Tripoli, Guardsman Dennis Bromfield was serving in the bar of the officer’s mess of his regiments of the Coldstream Guards when he was told that his “application for compassionate leave” had been granted, and he was to hurry and pack.  He knew nothing about the application, but he packed just the same, and was on the plane with a small suitcase shortly afterwards.

He was delayed in London, however, by formalities and while waiting for a train to Yorkshire was able to become one of the last visitors to the Festival of Britain Exhibition before it closed.  Dennis arrived in Denaby on Saturday evening, but was not allowed to see his father until next morning.  He has since been every day, although his visits will have to be made less frequently as his father improves.

Six Years Off Work

Mr. Bromfield, who is a Cadeby Main miner, has been off work for six years due to ill-health and was taken to hospital a week ago. His wife died eight years ago.  Dennis, a builder’s labourer before joining the Army is in for three years.  He has been abroad for nearly a year and is expected to be discharged in about 18 months,

Dennis will be 21 on November 9th and may just see his coming-of-age at home.  Although his leave is for only 32 days, it is unofficially T.F.O. – till further orders.  “We might have a bit of a do” says Dennis’s sister, “and we might not.  If Dad is still in hospital, I don’t see that it will be very probable.