Food Prosecutions at Doncaster – Denaby Miner and His Slaughtered Pig.

August 1918

Leeds Mercury – Wednesday 14 August 1918

Food Prosecutions at Doncaster
Denaby Miner and His Slaughtered Pig.

The West Riding Magistrates at Doncaster, yesterday, were occupied for several hours in hearing a series of prosecutions for offences against the Orders and Regulations relating to food. Fines amounting in all to £74 were imposed.

John C. Marshall, grocer, Conisborough, summoned for two breaches of the Tea (Retail Prices) Order, pleaded guilty to charging excess prices, and was ordered to pay £6 including costs.

George B. Appleyard, grocer, Conisborough, answered three summonses for selling tea above the maximum price, and was fined £4 in each case, including costs, £l2 in all.

The Court then listened to the story of Michael Brannon’s pig. Brannon is a Denaby miner, who had a pig. He caused it to be slaughtered, and then retailed the carcase to people in the district. He now pleaded guilty, through ignorance, to various charges, including dealing in dead meat retailing it on his own account without being registered, etc.

It was stated that in doing what he had done Brannon had committed about 200 offences. Thirty-eight married women of Denaby were summoned for purchasing more than the allowance meat to which they were entitled, or for purchasing meat without coupons. They mostly pleaded guilty.

Brannon was fined £2 in each case, £10 in all, or one month.

Branncn loudly declared he would do the month. Two of his pigs had died; there was one left, and the police could have that if they liked to fetch it.

The Bench allowed the man seven days in which pay.

The women were fined, some of them 20s., others 30s. each. Most of them are solders’ wives or widows, and declared they could not pay; some of them said they would not pay. Time was allowed, a month being given in some cases.

James Smith, miner, of Highfields, was summoned for two breaches of the Sugar Rationing Order, very improperly obtaining a sugar card, and neglecting to give up a card belonging to another person.

Defendant was ordered to pay in respect of each charge (.£8 in all), or a month’s imprisonment.