Mexborough and Swinton Times August 4, 1906
Friendly Societies Church Parade at Denaby
The annual church parade in connection with the Denaby Main Friendly Societies, took place on Sunday afternoon and the interest taken, by both Lodge members and inhabitants of Denaby, increases yearly.
This junction will no doubt be a valuable asset to the Fullerton hospital committee, for which the parade was held. Plenty of enthusiasm was shown by the members of the different Societies, as was seen by the excellent representation. The marshals were Messes G Booth, TW Mosby, and the parade was composed as follows:
Fullerton Hospital committee, Denaby Main ambulance band and brigade, Loyal Order of Ancient Shepherds, Conisborough Fire Brigade, came it and Denaby Minors, Sheffield Equalised Independent Druids, Rechabites, Order of Odd Fellows, Mining Class, Salvation Army Band and Corps, Foresters, Rotherham Order of Druids, Sick and Dividing lodges, Sheffield Equalised Druids and glass workers.
The procession went by way of Lowfield Square, Doncaster Road, Balby Street, Wadsworth Street, Clifton Street, Firbeck Street, Church Road, Tickhill Street, Annerley Street, Thrybergh Terrace, Doncaster Road and then to the church, where a special service was held.
The church was crowded, and after the ordinary service had been held, the Rev B.T.Barnes, rector of Wombwell, gave an excellent address.
In the course of his remarks he spoke upon the inducement of friendly societies, and was glad they had learned one lesson, namely, “To bear one another’s burdens,” and this was Christianity. They had come into God’s presence because they knew that they had something due to him, and collectively they would relieve the sick, the poor, and also be some help towards the sick and dying in the Fullerton Hospital. There will, however, come a day when men would do two things – they would do their duty today God, besides their duty towards their neighbours.
The collection on the route and in the church were in aid of the Fullerton Hospital.