Headlong Fall – Domestic Mishap at Denaby – Slip On Stairs.

November 1930

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 14 November 1930

Headlong Fall.

Domestic Mishap at Denaby

Slip On Stairs.

“It seems quite clear Mrs. Milner was running downstairs, and owing to the darkness and the lack of a hand rail she appears to have fallen and fractured her skull,” said Mr. W. H. Carlile, the Doncaster District coroner, holding an inquest at the Fullerton Hospital on Friday on Mrs. Ada May Milner (41), of 67, Tickhill Street, Denaby Main, who died on Wsllnesday in the Fullerton Hospital as a result of injuries sustained through a fall down a flight of stairs the same day.

Cyril Milner, clerk. son of the deceased, who said he lived with his mother, gave evidence of identification. On Wednesday afternoon he arrived home about 4-10 p.m., and on going into the house heard someone working upstairs. He sat down to read the paper, and then heard his mother coming downstairs.

“She got over half-way down,’ went on witness, “then I heard a bump and ran and found her lying at the bottom of the stairs. I thought perhaps she had had a fainting fit, and went and fetched some cold water and chafed her hands.”

When witness realised it was serious be went straight for the doctor. The stairs led into a small passage between the front room and the living room. They were very narrow and dark. There was no hand rail and the stairs were very steep, and there were no means of lighting them. His mother was rather a big woman, but she was quite steady on her feet. When he found her there was a sweeping brush lying near her. He thought she was hurrying down to get his tea when she fell. She was not subject to fainting fits.

P.c. Rose, who lived next door to the deceased said that on Wednesday he was called by Cyril Milner about 4-15 p.m. He found Mrs, Milner lying across the foot of the stairs. She was unconscious, and there blood on her left ear. He laid her on the rug in the living room. A doctor was sent for and came promptly. At the foot of the stairs he (witness) found a sweeping brush and two dusters. The stairs were steep and dark, and there was no hand rail. At 4.40 Dr. McArthur ordered Mrs. Milner to be moved to the Fullerton Hospital. She admitted at 5 p.m.

In reply to a question from the Coroner, witness said these were very dangerous stairs.

Dr. J. MacArthur said he was called to the deceased on Wednesday at 4-20 p.m. She was unconscious, and blood was coming from the left ear. He saw it was too serious a case for treatment at home, and ordered her to be removed to the Fullerton Hospital. His examination revealed a wound at the black of the head about an inch long. Mrs. Milner died at 5-35 p.m. from a fracture of the base of the skull.

A verdict of “Accidental death” was recorded.