History – Other Industries Outside Mining

July 1937

South Yorkshire Time, July 16, 1937

To celebrate their 60th Anniversary the “Times” did potted histories of the Dearne Valley Village. These are extracts from the Conisborough and Denaby ones.

Other Industries Outside Mining

Other industries outside mining there were, but none employed large numbers. The brickworks were operated by Mr Thomas Henry Simpson, who lived successively in the house now in the possession of Dr McClure, then in the house occupying the site of Mr George Kilner’s house, and lastly in the Priory, now used as a convalescent home. Mister. T. H. Simpson was associated in the management of the brickworks with his nephew, mister. Arthur Simpson, and on the latter’s marriage, Rock House was built for him by his uncle. Later Rock House was acquired by mister. G. Nicholson, who died there.

Lime quarries and burning gave employment to a few; and wood turning was carried on by Mr. Robert Wilson at the mill to the south of the castle, power being derived from Conisborough brook. Similar works were operated at Burke by mister. Thomas Booth, with power obtained from the Don.

Close at hand were the sickle works, then run by mister. George Booth, whose products were sent pretty well all over the globe. All these minor industries were quite modest concerns, but together they were no means insignificant in promoting the welfare of the village.

Rather more important than the places just mentioned was a foundry of Messrs Baker and Burnet,  which stood on a site between the river Don and Low road. However, eventually this partnership was dissolved. Mr Burnett went East to set up wagon repair works at Doncaster Mr Baker took the opposite direction and established in Rotherham the firm of John Baker and sons.

Where the fat refining works of Messrs Braim and Cooper are at work now, 60 years ago Messrs Nicholson brothers carried on a successful brewery, at which the excellent water of the Holywell Spring was converted into mild and bitter stout. Later, the firm amalgamated with the Wath firm of Whitworth and brewing at Conisborough ceased.