Inquest Opened on Murdered Conisbrough Man.

January 1957

South Yorkshire times, January 12th, 1957

Please note that Names have been changed

Inquest Opened on Murdered Conisbrough Man.

At an inquest at Edlington last Friday on Sidney Bell (21), Maple Grove, Conisbrough, who died on New Year’s Day, His father, John Thomas Bell, miner, of the same address, said that his two sons left on New Year’s Eve and on the following day he saw the body of the younger son at Edlington mortuary.

Mr. Bell said that the dead man was demobilised from the Army about six months ago – about November 28th. He had spent most of his time in Malaya.

The Doncaster District Coroner (Mr W. H. Carliles asked witness if his son seemed in good health when he left home. The witness replied: ‘Both seemed in good health.’

The Coroner said there had been a post-mortem examination on the body, but the pathologist’s report was not to hand Mr. Carlile added ‘The inquest will be adjourned until I am in a position to hear the medical evidence.

As reported in our last issue John Thomas Bell (21), unemployed, Maple Grove, Conisbrough, was at Doncaster West Riding magistrates’ in custody until last Tuesday charged with murdering his brother Sidney Bell.

The Funeral.

The funeral of Sidney Bell (20) took place at Conisbrough cemetery on Monday afternoon.

A quarter of an hour before the funeral service, a small crowd began to collect until finally about 70 people, mostly women, gathered to await the cortege.

The service was conducted by the Vicar of Conisbrough (the Rev G. F. Braithwaite).

Accused Of Murder.

Provisional Date for Hearing – Feb. 14th.

Accused of the murder of his brother, Sidney, aged 21, at a house in Old Edlington on January 1st, John Thomas Bell (22), unemployed of Maple Grove, Conisbrough, was further remanded in custody for a week at Doncaster West Riding Court on Tuesday.

The Magistrates were told that February 14th had been agreed as a provisional date for the hearing of the case.