Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 02 January 1931
Leading Local Events in 1930
Achievements and Disappointments
3—Inquest on Wath Main explosion victims concluded, with verdict of death from shock and burns, with insufficient evidence to show how the gas was ignited
3—Mayor of Doncaster opened two-day bazaar in aid of Conisboro’ Wesleyan Church.
5—Manvers Main workmen at Roman Terrace decided to institute pensions for old workmen.
5—Rev. J. St. Leger Blakeney instituted rector of Wombwell.
8—Announcement made at meeting of the Wombwell U.D.C. that owing to restrictions made by owners of canal on use of bridge, Wood Brothers’ glass, one of Wombwell’s oldest industries, might be compelled to close down.
11—Wombwell Middle School held first parent’s day.
17-Mr. Peter McDougall, manager of Cinderford Gas Works (Gloucestershire) appointed manager of Wath Gas Works.
24—Wath branch, National Association of Local Government Officers, held first annual dinner.
24—Mineral train, Wath to Doncaster, derailed near Cadeby Colliery: several wagons smashed and line blocked for several hours.
26—South Yorkshire Co-operative Bakery opened at Mexboro’
29—Swinton Players produced “The Admirable Bashville.”
1—Farewell gifts to Rev. F. and Mrs. Briggs, Mexboro’.
1—New pavilion opened on Kilnhurst Welfare Ground.
11—” Council Sunday” observed at Wombwell.
13—Speaker at Sheffield Wesleyan Synod declared Denaby Main “the wickedest place in the area.”
16—Mr. J. Minnikin, general manager, Hickleton Main Colliery, declared in presidential address to Yorkshire Managers’ Association, that 100,538 shifts were lost by absenteeism at Hickleton Main in 1929.
17—New pavilion on Denaby Bowls club opened
19—Wath Secondary School opened by Mr. Morgan Jones, Parliamentary Secretary to Board of Education.
19—Presentation made to Mr. J Heald on retirement from treasurership of Kilnhurst Co-operative society.
20—Number of men fined for shooting and trapping homing pigeons in Thurnscoe district.
22—Mines Department inquiry into Wath Main explosion opened by Sir Henry Walker, Chief Inspector of Mines.
23—Notices given to 240 men and boys employed at Kilnhurst Colliery owing to bad trade.
24—Presentation made to Mr. G. H. Milnes on retirement from post of under-manager, Denaby Colliery.
31—New score box opened on Swinton cricket ground
31—Presentation to Mr. Charles Flint retirement after 31 years as check weighman, Mitchell Main.
2—Presentations to Rev. R. and Mrs. Bailey by parishioners of Wombwell and Jump. ‘Rev. B, Bailey inducted priest-in-charge of conventional district of New Rossington
2—Wath U.D.C. decided against provision of free allotments to unemployed.
2–Lease of Grand Theatre, Wath, acquired by Mexboro’ Theatres, Ltd.
6—Presentation to Mr. G. W. Firth on leaving Penistone to take headship of Thurnscoe school.
21—Yorkshire Change Ringers’ Association held annual meeting at Conisboro’.
24—Denaby and Cadeby Collieries bought from Montagu estates all Conisboro’ and Denaby property they held on lease.
24—Mr. S. Worrell installed president Mexboro’ Rotary Club.
24—Dr. R. Malcolm retired after 23 years as medical officer of Thurnscoe.
26—Rev. E. B .A. Somerset instituted vicar of Mexboro’.
26—Alfred Caunt (14), Jump, made gallant rescue of two boys from drowning in Elsecar reservoir.
28—Mexboro’ old folk given treat at Hooton Pagnell.
28—Presentations to old Manvers Main officials: Mr. John Beaumont and Mr. Charles Thomas.
28—Elliott Ambulance Cup competed for at Wombwell for first time.