Denaby Utd – Mar 1 – Denaby 5 Scunthorpe Utd 1 – Denaby´s Power

March 1924

Mexborough and Swinton Times, March 1

Denaby´s Power 
Forwards Who Score Goals 
Heavy Defeat for Scunthorpe United

Denaby United 5 Scunthorpe United 1

Another of the fixtures interfered with earlier in the season by the playing of cup ties, was fulfilled at Denaby on Monday afternoon, when the United entertained Scunthorpe. In the home team were missing short and Cooper, Spencer and Winfield coming in. The rearranging of the side did not upset Denaby, one in decisive fashion by 5-1. The game is fast, and always interesting, though Denaby got an increasingly strong grip on the game as time went on.

Scunthorpe did all the attacking for the first few minutes, and Bromage quickly saved a good cross shot from Ashmore, and then in the struggle in the Denaby goalmouth which followed a flag kick, he twice repelled dangerous shots.

But Denaby soon took a hand and neat combination my Godfrey, Hamilton and Jackson ended in the latter dashing forward to shoot hard, but Reynolds saved smartly. Both defences and minutes of heavy pressure, and both were aided by a little luck. Too many stoppages for hands and offside interrupted the play.

Then came a thrill, Winfield completely missing the ball right in front of his goal. Burkinshaw promptly drove in a hard, low shot, which Bromage did well to save, and to follow up this piece of work by turning out a cross shot by Kitchen.

The opening goal came after 22 min play. Chambers, by tricky play made the opening, and Hamilton slipped the ball forward, for Picknett to race forward at such speed to beat the goalkeeper, who had run out, and shoot into the net.

Denaby roused themselves at this, and Killingworth blaze in a great long shot which barely missed the corner of the woodwork. Denaby came very near to adding to their score, Picknet hitting the crossbar from the left with the goalkeeper beaten.

Scunthorpe got the equalising goal after 34 minutes. The Denaby defence was a little at sea with a fine coat centre from Foster, and there was a mixup on the goal-line, with several players on the ground, during which Raby got the ball into the net.

Within a minute, Denaby regained the lead. It was a delightfully neat piece of work. The ball was swung out to Spencer, who ran down and middled the ball with excellent judgement. Hamilton took it first time and turned it into the net

Jackson missed a great chance a minute later, and again failed to seize an opportunity shortly afterwards, shooting straight at Reynolds from a good position. Others of the Denaby forwards missed chances when Reynolds had to run out to stop Godfrey and the ball was not properly cleared. The Scunthorpe goalkeeper kept out an effort by Godfrey and saved splendidly a hard drive by Chambers. After Picknet failed to take advantage of a fine centre by Spencer.

Early in the second half there were sterling doings near the Scunthorpe goal, the Denaby left-wing making strenuous efforts to get the ball through.

Following a few minutes long, during which the pace slack, and the ball was kept in midfield, Denaby again flung themselves at the opposing defence, and in a fierce struggle in the Scunthorpe goalmouth one of the defenders handled. A penalty kick was awarded, and Coope scored with a low drive. This happened after 20 min of the forgotten. The scorer, a little later, made a very timely tackle, which stopped Burkinshaw, was threading is way through the Denaby defence. The ball was booted away, and Jackson dashed to the other end. He was fouled, and a freekick awarded was put nicely into the middle, for Godfrey to head into the net in the neatest possible manner. This was after 25 minutes.

Even though hopelessly behind, Scunthorpe did not give up the game and end to end play followed.

A brilliant piece of work by Picknett led to the obtaining of the last goal. He perform some sheer trickery with the ball, keeping it in the air and eluding several opponents by little touches, finishing by dropping a shot right into goal. Bradbury, trying to keep the ball out, turned it into the net, Reynolds having no chance of saving.

Denaby won because they were the more determined side because they have inside forwards who never forget that their job is to score goals, and will have the ability to carry out that duty. The play of Illingworth was good, but the man who took the time most was Chambers, who was the most constructive half on the field, and was a sixth forward in every attack. He played a big part in the scoring on more than one of the goals. The side fully earned their victory.

Team: Bromage; Coope and Taylor; Chambers, Illingworth and Winfield; Spencer, Picknett, Godfrey, Hamilton and Jackson.