Mar 14 – Denaby 3 Loughborough 3 – United Gaining Confidence.

March 1960

South Yorkshire Times, March 14.

United Gaining Confidence.

Denaby United 3 Loughborough 3

That “thin Red Line” of Denaby United’s came into action again on Saturday – enforceing their second draw in two games with a 3-3 result against Loughborough.

Five defenders form a line across the width of the pitch and drop back together when the other side mounts an attack. Time after time the Loughborough forwards, who were almost completely baffled by it, were caught offside. Those who weren’t were in two minds when they came up against the line, afraid that they would be whistled up when they passed it.

Necessary were such tactics, Denaby were on the defensive for long periods, but their “hit and run” attacks with a long ball up the middle, gave Loughborough plenty to think about

Denaby shot into the lead in the fourth minute – a through ball from Wood found Roebuck, whose shot was only clumsily stopped and Coleman was quick to nip in and score.

Disputed Goals.

5 min later Loughborough equalised through
with a goal Denaby disputed and the Loughborough centre forward did look to be offside as he headed in Langford’s pass.

This 32nd minute, half only partly cleared a centre and Broadhurst took full advantage of the opportunity to put Loughborough ahead, but Denaby were not giving and 3 min later, were back on level terms again.

An excellent piece of work by Coleman out of the right wing caught the Loughborough defence completely on the wrong foot and Wood took his pass in his stride to hit the equaliser.

Another disputed goal – Denaby claim that the ball had been handled – put Loughborough ahead again before half-time, Langford
scoring in the 38th minute.

Point Saving.

Loughborough opened the second half by forcing four corners, but still could not find a way through the defence, and Denaby swept upfield to score their third goal in the 56 min. A freekick by Wood on the edge of the penalty area deceived Daley and hit the bar, but Coleman was quick to follow up again and net a point saving goal.

For the rest of the second half the Denaby attack play better than it had in the first, putting much more pressure on the Loughborough goal, but then the goals would not come.

It was obvious in their play, that after the success of their tactics at Long Eaton the previous week, Denaby were a more confident team than they had been for some time.

If the confidence stays there they may yet lift themselves off the bottom of the league.

Team: Hough 6; Whant 6, Wild 6;Wharam 6, Ainscough 7, Grierson 7; Wood 7, Cox 6, Coleman 7 , Jones 6 , Harvey 7

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.