South Yorkshire Times, September 15th, 1951
Elsecar became south Riding Cricket League finalists at Denaby when they drew with Denaby arid Cadeby and won the match on the toss of a coin.
Barnburgh parents who let their children play on the £300 newly-seeded village green will receive warnings from the Parish Council.
About 6,000 people visited the Royal Box and stands at Doncaster Racecourse on Sunday. Many more walked round sections of the St. Leger course.
Miners responded well on Saturday to the appeal of the Minister of Fuel and Power (Mr. Baker) for increased output.
There were 19 accidents in Mexborough, South Kirkby. Hems-worth, Ecclesfield and Stocksbridge during August. No-one was killed, but there were four serious injuries, and thirteen people were slightly injured.
Dr. A. E. Ward, B.Sc., M.B., Ch.B., has been appointed house surgeon at Mexborough Montagu Hospital, replacing Dr. Teeloch. This is Dr. Ward’s first post, and he has joined the hospital staff from Edinburgh University.
South Yorkshire coal output rose last week by 22,000 tons. A decline in output in the Worksop, Doncaster and Rotherham areas was offset by increases in the Carlton and South and North Barnsley areas.
Coun. J. H. White, Chairman of the public Health Committee and Mr. H. Brearley, Chief Sanitary inspector, have been appointed to represent Mexborough Urban Council at the Annual Conference of the National Smoke Abatement Society which opens at Blackpool on September 26th.
Mr, H. Atkinson, a Yorkshireman, who began work at Barnburh Main Colliery in 1913, and who later graduated at Balliol College, Oxford, has been selected a prospective Parliamentary candidate by East Grinstead (Sussex) Labour party.
Laying the foundation stone of a new Catholic church at Street, Wombwell, on Saturday, the Bishop of Leeds (Mgr.J.C.Heenan), congratulated the menfolk of the church on their voluntary work in building the foundations.