Midland League Results – November 09th, 1931

9 November 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 09 November 1931

Heavy Scoring In Midland League Games.

All the Leading Teams Win—Medley Scores Four Goals for Bradford City.

Goal-scoring was heavy in the Midland League on Saturday, but all the five leading teams won, and the positions at the top end of the table remain unaltered. The best individual feat of the day was Medley’s four goals for Bradford City Reserves against Frickley.

Taking advantage of defensive errors, Bradford City Reserves beat Frickley Colliery 4—1, at South Elmsall. Frickley’s new right back from Wigan Borough, Wade, was unable to appear, and Wells failed to fill the bill satisfactorily. Medley, who was a smart opportunist, taking advantage of his weakness to score four goals. Gibson, who was brilliant in his first appearance inside-right, scored for Frickley, whose left wing pair from Wigan, Moon and Oakes, also played well. The game attracted a gate of 1,500, one of the largest of the season

Rotherham were lucky to get point at Wombwell. The honours were due chiefly Soutar, who did some magnificent work in goal. Wombwell deserved to win, for they were the attacking side for least two-thirds of the game. The forwards, however, seemed to be hampered by the heavy conditions and were slow in getting the ball under control. Brayshaw missed least three easy chances of giving Wombwell the lead. On the Rotherham side Soutar, Smailes, and McCormick did best.

Mexborough Crash.

Mexborough Athletic crashed 6 —1 in their home match with Scunthorpe, who were the faster and better team, and deserved their victory even if the big margin did not reflect periods in which Mexborough were their equals in all but finishing work. The goal getters were Reed (3), Daws (2), and Dawson for Scunthorpe, and Bungay for Mexborough.

The winners had sparkling wingers in Daws and Reed and capable backs in Cross and Baynham. Mexborough lacked team plan, and although the forwards times had hard luck they lacked thrust and markmanship.

Only one goal was scored in the match at Denaby, where Loughborough were the visitors, but it was enough to give Denaby the victory. Gilchrist was the scorer, and he neatly deflected a pass from Tucker. Just on half-time Gilchrist was fouled in the penalty area. He took the kick himself and hit a post. Moss was tried centre-forward, hut he was not comfortable, and subsequently changed with Hinds. Apart from spasmodic raids had all the play, but could not score.

Gainsborough’s Bright Wingers.

With the best away record in the Midland League, Gainsborough Trinity defeated Boston Town by 6 —0, and, incidentally, won their first home match since September 19th. Trinity had by far the better of the play, but had Boston taken their chances in the second half they would have narrowed the issue. The two wingers, Morton and Mills, again delighted the crowd with some perfect centres.

Two goals within five minutes gave Trinity a comfortable margin, which was improved upon just before half-time. Another three were added the second half, the scorers being Mills (2), Douglas (2), Green, and Robinson. Boston had to field a weakened side owing to illness, and Earle was the outstanding forward

Effective raiding won Hull City Reserves a substantial margin (5 – 1) over Grantham at Anlaby Road, but it was not any means the runaway victory which the score suggests. Hoddinott opened the scoring for Grantham in the early stages and for some time the visitors kept up a pressure which prevented f-luil from doing more than equalise before the interval. Grantham had their full share of the second half, but their efforts were not sustained. Hull made repeated short raids, goals being scored Havelock (two), Rogers, Lacey and Mannings.

Lincoln City Reserves were unfortunate to lose home to Bradford Reserves by 5—3. At least four the visitors’ goals would probably have been saved by Meeson the regular goalkeeper, who was absent through injury, was a very fast and exhilarating game both sides developing dangerous attacks, and if Bradford were rather more polished the shooting of the Lincoln forwards was the better. Clough, in the Bradford goal, however, gave a splendid display. Rhodes was a clever leader the Bradford attack, and Scott and Geldard were fine right wing. Anderson was the best of the Lincoln defenders and Andrew (Lincoln) the most constructive forward. Scott (2), Rhodes, Geldard, and Morton scored for Bradford, and Lincoln’s goals came from R. S. Thursby, Smith (penalty), and March.

Doncaster Rovers Reserves put up a surprisingly good display in the first half Scarborough, and were good value for their 2—1 lead at the interval. They accommodated themselves to the heavy ground more effectively than did the home side, after taking the lead through Wallbanks the eighth minute, found difficulty in holding fast moving forward line. Berosford  and Vickers scored capital goals with long drives.

Scarborough equalised after five minutes in the second half, and after this held a decided advantage. Wallbanks gave them the lead from penalty in the 55th minute, and five minutes later Hill got the best goal of the match.

Early on Bennett, home captain, was injured, and during his absence Holmes opened Grimsby’s account. Their second goal came direct from a free-kick as a result of a great drive from Botmead. Newark then found their feet, and before the interval Hill reduced the lead. Continuing to press. Bell put the visitors further ahead in the second half from a penalty. In a late period of sustained pressure. Firth got Newark’s second goal.

Former International Scores.

The game between Notts County Reserves and Chesterfield Reserves, at Meadow Lane, was a one-sided affair and Chesterfield got off as well as they deserved. They were neither as fast nor clever the home lot, and the issue was decided well before the interval. Wright, Coglin, Andrews, and Watkins scored for the County before half-time. In the second portion Walker, from a penalty, scored for Chesterfield and Orr got a second goal 10 minutes from the end.

Barnsley Reserves once again disappointed their followers. Young gave them an early lead, but subsequently the forwards were ineffective, and McKay and Quantrill scored for Nottingham Forest Reserves. In the second half forest took command the game, further goals were obtained Jones and Simpson, and although Young scored again Barnsley were well beaten, the forest displaying sound methods. Capstick made some good saves Barnsley’s goal and Maskill endeavoured to check a smooth-moving attack, but the middle line disappointed. Of the forwards, Hickie was the only one to show to advantage.