Midland League Results – December 29 1930 – 7 “Hat Tricks’’ in 5 Matches

29 December 1930

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 29 December 1930

Midland League.

Seven “Hat Tricks’’ in Five Matches.

A Mexborough Tonic

There was glut of goals in Midland League matches on Saturday, two teams securing nine goals each, and two accounting for six each. In the ten matches 59 goals were scored.

Three players —Morris (Shirebrook), Pattison (Scunthorpe United), and Hall (Bradford City Reserves) —scored four goals each, while the following also did “hat tricks”: —Kay (Shirebrook), Hancock and Robinson (Gainsborough Trinity), and Glover (Grimsby).

Shirebrook completed a “double” against Loughborough Corinthians, whom they defeated 9—2. The visitors, who were weakly represented, were outclassed, and it was not until the second half that they threatened danger. Play was affected by the wretched condition of the ground, but Shirebrook were the more adaptable side, and in the first half in particular they gave the opposing defence a gruelling time. There were three penalties during the match, and “ hat tricks” by Morris and Kaye. Loughborough showed more fight after the interval. Shirebrook had one goal disallowed. Morris (4) Kaye (3). and Bedford (2 penalties) scored for Shirebrook and Bourne and Murden for Loughborough.

Twelve goals were scored the match between Gainsborough Trinity and Wombwell of which Gainsborough obtained nine. Wombwell’s defence was very weak : but it had something to do in holding the fast Gainsborough right wing. Hancock and Mills. Gainsborough led 6—2 the interval. The scorers were : —Gainsborough ; Hancock (3) Robinson (3), Willbourn (2). and Moralee. Wombwell; Morris (2) and Hawkins.

Fine Scunthorpe Feat.

After an initial burst Frickley Colliery collapsed in their home match with Scunthorpe on Saturday and were beaten 6 —0. Frickley opened well, being aided the absence for most of the first half of Cross, the visiting right back, who was injured early in the game. Scunthorpe scored twice, through Oakton and Pattison, before the interval. Cross resumed in the second half, and the Colliery were overwhelmed, the visitors shooting in most of the time. Pattison, who was in wonderful form at centre forward, added another three goals straight off the reel, Green obtaining the sixth. Frickley generally gave a wretched display, but Calvert, the goalkeeper, was brilliant and had no chance with the shots which beat him.

Denaby United were routed by the League leaders when they visited Grimsby and lost to the Reserves there by 6—0. Despite the result, Denaby showed glimpses of real footwork, especially Mountney, who got in some fine shots. Grimsby were too well served Bell and Williams to give anything away, however. Glover performed the “hat-trick” and helped Joyce to score two, whilst Coglin was the other scorer.

On a ground made a veritable mud heap as the result of heavy falls of snow and rain, Scarborough outplayed Doncaster Rovers Reserves to win very easily 5—1. Scarborough adapted themselves to the conditions much better than their opponents. Hill, particular, giving a fine display, although he missed a penalty. All the five Scarborough forwards, Hickman, Rand, Hill, Small, and Palfreman, shared in the scoring, and Adams got the visitors’ only goal with practically the last kick of the match. Scarborough had to play Wilson a wing half, in the centre-half position owing to a slight injury to Robinson. The weather spoilt the attendance, which numbered just over 2,000, the receipts being £82.

Welcome Change for Mexborough.

Mexborough by their 3—1 home win over Boston gained their first Midland League victory since November 15th. They deserved this welcome change fortune, the more so as they were without Bungay and Wilson, their best forwards. The substitutes, Wassail and Burton, juniors from Grathorpe, were surprisingly good, particularly Burton, who, from outside-right, gave a fine service of centres, while Wassail shaped smartly at centre-forward, and scored two goals following Hakess’ initial success for the home team. The Mexborough half-backs were good. Streets, Flynn, Biakley, and Earle excelled for Boston. There were 1,500 spectators.

Following an even first half, when both sides played pretty football, Bradford City Reserves were fortunate to cross over with a two goals’ lead over Lincoln. In the second half, however, Lincoln were kept busily defending for long periods, and were eventually beaten 4—l. Hall got all four goals for Bradford City and Whalley got Lincoln’s.

Newark Town secured a convincing win by 3 —0 over Chesterfield Reserves at Saltergate, which was deep in mud. This materially affected the local players, who possessed nothing like the physique of the visitors. Speed scored the opening goal, but so well did Machent, the home centre-half, play thereafter that Speed was allowed very little latitude. Hoddinott and Staniland were the other scorers. Chesterfield with the wind advantage in the second half, overplayed Newark to a marked degree, but their ill-advised efforts to walk the ball through faded.