Midland League Results – August 29th 1921

29 August 1921

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 29 August 1921

Midland League.

Newcomers Show Great Promise.

Old Clubs Beaten.

The reserves of Barnsley and the Wednesday played a very attractive game at Oakwell before 3,000 spectators. Binney gave the visitors the lead with a capital shot, and Curran put on an equalising goal with a brilliant effort.

Beaumont, the ex-United centre-half, was a dominating figure, and he repeatedly held up the Wednesday attack. Ten minutes before the interval Duke took a pass from Morris, and gave Barnsley the lead, and in the second half Retford got another goal for the home team, who won 3-1.

Brown ,and Lamb were prominent for the NNednesday, and Retford, Beaumont, and Sayles were conspicuous for the Oakwell eleven.

The match between Scunthorpe United and Rotherham County Res. hardly produced the class of football anticipated, and it was possibly well for Scunthorpe’s peace of mind that Maycock equalised with the last kick of the match.

Play was dull in the first half, but within five minutes of the resumption Maycock gave Scunthorpe the lead, and Wallace equalised. There was an element of doubt about Mayoock’s goal, but the referee over-ruled the appeal of the Rotherham players. Wallace, who is a very energetic centre-forward, scored by kicking the ball out of the hands of Bates as the latter was on the ground. He then gave his side the lead, his success being due to clever work by Rotherham’s left-winger, Lloyd. It was the best goal of the afternoon.

Sutcliffe was undoubtedly deceived with the ball from Maycock which equalised matters.

Doncaster Rover’s Weakness.

Doncaster Rovers did not fulfil the high expectations formed in their opening match with Gainsborough Trinity, who secured a 2-1 victory. Undeniably the cleverer team won.

The Rovers’ strong defence shone in the first half. Hendry displaying smartness in goal and Wigglesworth and Thorpe, particularly the old and popular full-back, rendering satisfactory accounts of themselves. The home half-backs did not shine and the forwards lacked the cleverness and smartness of the opposing line, failing to take advantage of the wind when it was in their favour.

The visiting forwards had a good understanding, and were quick and smart, and all these points told in the second half, when they, by the help of Talbot (2) and Buttery, scored goals in rappidsuccession. McLeod, the old Notts County sharp-shooter, reduced the adverse balance,

Grimsby Town Reserves gave a pleasing display when beating Hull City Reserves 3—0 at Blundell Park. The Grimsby left wing was strong, and Laws centred prettily. Talks kept his line together in capital style and secured the first goal by heading into the net. The second goal was obtained from a penalty by Coupland, whilst Collier, who proved a dashing player, netted the third.

Boston‘s first Midland League match attracted a gate of between 3.000 and 4,000, and a pleasant feature was that the Mayor (Councillor E. Richardson), a keen supporter of sport, kicked off. Their opponents were their old neighbours, Lincoln City Reserve. Blakey, the home custodian, gave a magnificent display in goal, as also did Robson, the captain, late of Scunthorpe. Not until 13 minutes from time did Boston obtain the first goal of the match, and Lincoln equalised without one minute of the finish, so that it will be realised that the closing stages were exciting.

League Recruits Shine.

Mexborough were defeated 2-1 at Wombwell on Saturday. True, Mexborough’s whole forward line were hard and honest workers, but they lacked the initiative to shoot on the spur of the moment.’ Nor was their aim at all accurate.

The Wombwell forwards had fewer opportunities, but made better use of them, hence Mexborough’s defeat. The game was keen and entertaining throughout. Saxton gave the visitors’ the lead after 20 minutes’ play, but Redfearn equalised before the interval with a brilliant cross shot. The tide turned in Wombwell’s favour in the second half, but there were spells when the Mexborough forwards were difficult to hold. Bolsover gave Wombwell the winning goal by kicking the ball through a forest of legs from three yards out.

Before a big gate at Mansfield Town and Worksop met on the Field Mill enclosure, the receipts totalling £390. There was no scoring in the first half, but, immediately after the restart, Sheldon scored from a free kick given against the custodian, Brown, for carrying, and Middleton got a second a, couple of minutes later. Mansfield then lost Meehan, their right-half, injured, and Peach, their right full-back, went lame, but Tom Smith, and Groves, in goal, were in great form, and kept the visitors at bay.

Denaby United were squarely beaten by a clever side from Castleford, though they got the opening goal, Creasey converting a corner, and should have been in a strong position ‘after the first half-hour of the game. Creasey’s goal was immediately matched by Reilly, who beat Lee with a good shot at close quarters, and then after Denaby had missed three fine openings, Rowe scored the decided for Castleford from a corner which the visitors were lucky to have awarded.

There was a, large crowd of spectators at Harrogate’s opening match on Saturday.

Wakefield within five minutes from the kickoff, opened the scoring, Kinsella, sending in a clever shot from the left wing, quite near the touch line. Shortly before the interval Slater got away for Harrogate and passed to Gedney, who cleverly netted. In the second half, Wakefield were slightly the superior. Ten minutes before time Mackenzie beat Gale, Harrogate’s new goalkeeper, with a fine front drive, and the visitors ran out winners by 2 – 1.