Midland League Results – December 14th, 1931

14 December 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 14 December 1931

Unusual Scoring Feat In Midland League.

Rotherham Back Does the “Hat-Trick”:

Mexborough Over-run Scarborough.

Visiting teams had a lean time in the Midland League on Saturday, and in the ten games only two were successful, Barnsley winning at Chesterfield and Lincoln at York.

A feature of Rotherham United’s match with Wombwell which they won 4—2 was that three of Rotherham’s goals were scored Freeman, their left back. Two were from penalties and the other from a free kick just outside the penalty area. Beynon. of Rotherham, missed a penalty but made amends later the game by scoring a good goal. There was no score at half-time, but afterwards Rotherham got two goals within minute of each other. Brayshaw scored both Wombwell’s goals.

Scarborough Surprised.

Mexborough Athletic, on their own ground, played well to beat Scarborough 4-1. They were the more thrustful side in the first half, and scoring through Roseboom and Wilson led deservedly by 2—1 at the interval, Hodson scored for the visitors.

The game threatened to become rough in the early stages of the second half, until Maskill. the Scarborough right, half, was  sent off. Mexborough emphasised their superiority and added two goals through Bungay. The return to the team of Groig (back) and Roseboom (inside-left) had happy results and every department the play was sound.

Scarborough’s defence was overrun, but Turner was a good goalkeeper, and Wallbanks (centre-forward) Lockhanes (centre half) were also prominent.

A weakened Denaby United team did well to beat Newark Town at Denaby. Newark had as much of the game as Denaby but could not score, although Brannan made many good saves. Adams scored the only goals of the match in the first half.

After being subdued in the first half Lincoln City managed to beat York City 5—2 at York. Atkinson (2) and Marsh scored for the winners and Moore and Blackburn for York. The losers attacked almost continually in the first half.

Frickley Fall Off

Frickley Colliery, who were beaten 6—2 at Grimsby, rather impressed the spectators in the first half, for they were leading 2—1 at the interval. Up to this point their defence had proved unusually effective, but it went to pieces in the second half when Grimsby added five more. Barber scored both goals for Frickley, and for Grimsby, the goals were scored by Moralee (2), Cooper, Uplines, Dodds, and Swaby.

Mansfield Town beat Boston Town 2—0 on the Field Mill ground. Apart from a clever display by Broom, the forwards were disappointing. In the first half Broom opened the scoring in ten minutes and Baxter put a second near tho end. Davies, centre-forward, played well for the visitors.

Bradford City Reserves had to thank their goalkeeper and backs for the 1—1

draw at Grantham. Most of the attacking was done by the home team. Mitchell headed through from a corner for Bradford, Hoddinott responding for Grantham.

A 2 —2 draw was a fair result of the game between the Reserves of Doncaster and Notts at Belle Vue. Doncaster played the better football in the first half and led 2—0 at the interval, the goals being obtained Halliday and Yeardley. Notts replied in the second half and scored through Hall and Smith.

Doncaster had a useful set of half-backs and of the forwards Halliday and Yeardley were the most impressive.

Hall and Wright (forwards) and Smith (half backs) were good players in tho visiting side.

Barnsley’s Club Double.

Barnsley Reserves, by defeating Chesterfield Reserves 2—l at Saltergate, recorded a ‘‘double.” Misjudgement on the part of Dolman, the home goalkeeper, in the first minute allowed Whiteley to convert a centre from Curran and half an hour later Thomas added another surprise goal. Bell reduced the lead with a great shot. In the second half Barnsley were mostly the defensive, but Capsfick in goal, was masterly and Ridyard was strong centre half.

Chestcifield’s best players were Wright, Binks, and Cochrane.

Loughborough Corinthians (Sullivan 2. Hodgkinson) defeated Hull City Reserves (Raleigh) 3—1. Two goals were scored in the first two minutes of the game.