Midland League Results – December 19th, 1921

19 December 1921

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 19, December 1921

Midland League.

Denaby in Fine Form.

Denaby United, at home, were fully worth their 3 – 1 victory over Rotherham Town. Their forwards were on top of their form and but for the brilliance of Roebuck, the Town goalkeeper, the visitors would have been swamped.

In the first half Denaby, playing with the wind, had all the play, and scored twice through Wilson and Burkinshaw, both fine goals, the one by the latter being headed for a corner. Rotherham were seen at their best during this half, their defence coming through a trying ordeal with flying colours.

After the change-over, when they had the wind at their backs, they did not come up to expectations and Denaby were always the more dangerous side. Burkinshaw scored again when the game had been restarted a short time and Elliott registered Rotherham’s only goal near the end. Wright, who was having a trial, in goal for Denaby, was very sound, and had little chance with the shot that beat him.

A rather disappointing game. which Rotherham County Res. won 5 – 0, was witnessed at Wath before only a moderate crowd. The visiting forwards were livelier, speedier, and showed much better footwork than the home team, so that they ran up the highest score seen at Wath this season. The home team improved slightly in the second half but were never equal to their opponents, who were able to add further to the score. The scorers were Shaw (2), Cameron and Thompson (2).

Harrogate gained two more valuable league points on the home ground on Saturday beating Mexborough 3 – 1.

The first half, Harrogate having the advantage, was goalless, but a minute after the restart Smith scored after robbing Cope, the Mexborough goalkeeper. Gedney was responsible for the second with a fine cross drive, and straight from the centre Smith, beating all opposition, got through with the third. Mexborough attacked time after time, but Gale made some brilliant saves. Following a corner the Mexborough men pressed, and, with Gale down, Ingham got the ball through in a melee. Cope played a fine game in the Mexborough goal.

Scunthorpe’s First Win Since End of October.

Scunthorpe United registered their first win, against Wednesday Reserve, since October 27th, and as they have three more home matches this month, they hope to improve their position in the League table. Saturday’s 3-1 win was due to a large extent to the grand defensive play of Betts, Duke, and Broadhead, whilst their latest forward line worked very well in the second half. The first goal was scored oy Meredith, who a few minutes from the end missed the easiest of chances of scoring again, and the second was the result of brilliant play by Lloyd, although Maycock will be given the credit of being the actual scorer. Shelton then replied for The Wednesday, but just on time Whitham increased Scunthorpe’s total to three. The Wednesday certainly did not strike one as a goal-scoring side, and whilst we were impressed wife their backs, Gray and Prior, and their centre-half, Sykes, in the first half, they did not shine so much under pressure.

For the match with Lincoln City Reserves, at Oakwell, there was a poor “gate.” The Barnsley vanguard, supplemented by Hammerton and Wainscoat, gave a great goal-scoring display, and the team won 7-0. In the first forty-five, Hammerton (2), Curran, and Garner (through his own goal) were the scorers. After the first ten minutes very little was seen of the City forwards and the defence had a worrying time. In the second half, Hammerton completed his “hat-trick,” and Wainscoat added two. The home inside forwards worked well together, and Spoors fed them skilfully.

Doncaster Rovers richly deserved the full points in their match with Castleford, which they gained by the odd goal to nil. They played two reserve men at full-back—Wigglesworth is down with influenza—but on the whole Marsden and Thompson defended well. The home team had to contend against a strong wind in the first half, and held their own without much difficulty. Reed and Williams doing excellent work at halfback. A trial was given to Smailes, of Mexborough, at inside left, and he gave an excellent display. Reed was the scorer.

“Joe” Kitchen Playing Well.

Trinity had to take the held against Hull City Res. minus their right wing pair, Keen and Buttery, the result being that practically the whole of the forward work fell upon the shoulders of Talbot and Shearman, who scored the goals that gave Trinity their narrow 2-1 win. Harris again played a brilliant game for Trinity at left back, and Denton, at centre half, was a tower of strength to his side. It was as well this was the case, as Kitchen, who pivoted the Hull team, demonstrated that all his old-time skill and shooting powers have not departed, and he secured Hull’s only goal. The high wind interfered a great deal with the play, and the goal margin between the teams was ample. Briggs, in the Hull goal, played a very fine game, and received excellent support from the right hack, Blenkinsop. Trinity had largely to thank their trio of half-backs tor their win.

Although Notts Forest Reserves gained a 4 – 0 away victory against Wakefield City, the score was hardly a true indication of the game. Wakefield did a good share of the attacking, but found a stiff defence in Bennett, Barrett. and Ashmore. Harold, with a fine individual effort, and Ashmore, with a header, scored for the Forest in the first half, whilst Mills and Barrett (Penalty) added further goals. Grace, McDonald and Smith were Wakefield’s outstanding players.