Midland League Results – December 27, 1930 – Denaby Beat Mexborough.

27 December 1930

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Saturday 27 December 1930

Midland League.

Great Reversal of Form at Wombwell.

Denaby Beat Mexborough.

Snow cut down the Midland League programme to eight matches yesterday, no play being possible at Scarborough and Grimsby.

Frickley dramatically turned the tables at Wombwell with five team changes. The match was played under gruelling conditions. After defending for a long spell, Frickley finished the stronger side. They owed their victory to their goalkeeper, Calvert, and Chipperfield, at back. Truswell gave Wombwell the lead in the first minute, but Williams promptly equalised from free-kick, and before the interval the last goal of the match was scored by George, former Wombwell player, for Frickley.

Denaby United beat Mexborough by 3 – 1 in splendid match, on a heavy ground, at Denaby yesterday. The home team were soon in front, for Skeels dashed in and netted after a slip by the defenders. Skeels missed an open goal, but later he centred for C. Bowen to get a second. Hakes reduced the lead when he took Bungay’s centre almost on the goal line, but Gilchrist added third from well-placed corner by Skeels, who played a good game.

Tables Turned on Rotherham.

Bradford Reserves, beaten 3—1 on Christmas Day, deserved their 2 —0 win at Millmoor yesterday. Rotherham were poorly served by their extreme wingers, and the strongest part of the home side was the half-back line, in which all three played a hard game. Ward did some good work in goal.

Bradford, went ahead after ten minutes, when Gibbs drew Ward out and shot into an empty goal. Early in the second half Atherton rushed the ball through from a centre by Gibbs.

Some interesting football was seen by a small crowd at Belle Vue yesterday, when Doncaster Rovers beat Gainsborough Trinity 2—0. Gainsborough were enterprising, but strong Doncaster backs held them well in check. The young Doncaster forwards showed plenty of spirit and some method, and the side were good value for their win. The goals were scored by Miller and Hatton. Miller, a young centre-forward on trial, created a good impression, and he and Hatton were the best of the attack. Beighton was the best home half-back, and Smith excelled in defence. For the Trinity, Fell was an outstanding figure, and Kell stood out in their defence.

Boston fully deserved their 2—1 victory over Lincoln City Reserves at Boston, for they played the superior football throughout, Lincoln were the first to score, Atkinson netting, but Halliday equalised for Boston before the interval. The home team scored their winning goal about halfway through the second half, when Robinson headed through a pass by Earle.

Chesterfield Play Well.

Chesterfield Reserves played with great determination at home yesterday, beating Loughborough Corinthians 4—0. They were value for an even greater win. Baldwin, who led the attack capably, scored twice, and the other scorers were Mundy and Smalley- Machent was Chesterfield’s most effective player, giving a splendid exhibition. Edwin Wass, Pepper, Mundy, and Walker also created a good impression. Loughborough missed Harris, their prolific scoring centre, who was absent through injury.

Despite the wretched weather conditions, the return holiday fixture between Shirebrook and Mansfield Town yesterday attracted about 2,000 spectators. The result was a draw, I—l, but on the run of the play Shirebrook ought to have won comfortably. They were seriously handicapped through in injury to Goucher, the left back, which necessitated a reshuffling of the side. Shirebrook had the assistance of Jack Smith, the now winger from Manchester Central. Morris scored for the home side after four minutes, and it was not until the last minute that Goddard equalised.

Newark Town deserved their 2—l home victory over Grantham yesterday, but the latter put up a stubborn resistance. Considering the conditions, the football was good. Hoddinott and Bennett scored for Newark, and Berry for the visitors.