Midland League Results – December 27, 1930 – Christmas Day Matches

27 December 1930

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Saturday 27 December 1930

Midland League.

Cup Aspirants Thrashed at Hull.

There were several surprises in the Midland League programme on Christmas Day, the chief one being Hull City Reserves’ 6—0 defeat of Scarborough, who have reached the third round of the F.A. Cup competition, at Hull. Hull had almost all the play in the first half, and led by three goals, scored by Duncan, Taylor, and Gunn, at the interval. Scarborough’s finishing work was poor. In the second half Scarborough were overplayed. Hull’s forwards being too fast. Further goals for Hull were registered by Gunn (2) and Taylor.

Grimsby Town Res., the leaders, won 4—2 at Scunthorpe. The scorers were: For Scunthorpe United, Beynon (penalty) and Pattison; for Grimsby Town, Glover (2), Ross (own goal), and Wattam. Scunthorpe did quite a lot of pressing the first half, but had no lupk in front of goal, and were distinctly unfortunate when Ross turned a centre from Barley into his own goal. In the second half Gjimsby were the superior side.

Rotherham United Reserves accomplished a capital performance at Park Avenue, beating Bradford Reserves by three goals to one. The home team opened the scoring with penalty goal, by which they led at half-time. In the second half Rotherham got the upper hand, and goals were scored by Parkin, Bridge, and Murdin. The visitors fully deserved their victory

The Best Scoring Feat.

There was a sensation at, South Elmsall, the home team, Frickley Colliery, being beaten 6—1 by Wombwell. Play in the first half was fast and thrilling, each side playing delightful football. After 27 minutes Hawkins opened the score for the visitors, but two minutes later Gregory equalised. After the resumption Wombwell dominated the game, Wraith adding a second after five minutes. Hawkins, the leader of the visitors attack, was brilliant form, performing the “hat trick” to make his total of goals four, and Briggs added another.

Frickley were outclassed in the second half, and Wombwell thoroughly deserved their win. A feature of the game was the splendid work of Calvert, the home custodian.

Mansfield Town beat Shirebrook 2—1 at Mansfield. The visitors were much the better side in the first half, and led at the interval by a goal scored by Kay. After 70 minutes Goddard equalised, and just before the close Devlin gave Mansfield the lead. The home side were somewhat fortunate to get both points.

Mexborough Athletic and Denaby United, before 3,000 spectators, played a drawn game of two all. Gilchrist and Smith scored for Denaby prior to the interval, who were flattered by this clear lead.

In the second half Mexborough made a good recovery, and in addition to having two points disallowed through off-side, drew level, Newman and Davies netting. The Denaby defence had to struggle hard to avert defeat. The issue hung in the balance the last kick, and the spectators enjoyed the keen contest.

Players Sent Off at Gainsborough.

The match between Gainsborough Trinity and Doncasters Rovers Reserves at Gainsborough had an unfortunate ending, as G. Price (Doncaster’s inside-right) and W. Robinson (Trinity’s centre-forward) were sent off the field for some incident which alleged to have happened among a crowd of players just before the end. Considerable feeling crept into game about a quarter of hour before the end, when Gainsborough were awarded a penalty for hands, which was converted by Kell, the right-back. Referee Mr. G. Parker (Worksop) was loudly booed at the close. The first half was goalless, Gainsborough being distinctly unfortunate not to have a sound lead at file interval. Gainsborough had two claims for penalties for fouls Green disallowed and the Doncaster bar was struck least half-a-dozen times. Shortly after the interval Vickers scored Doncaster’s goal, completely outwitting the home defence. Kell equalised, as stated.

Grantham and Newark had a hard game at Grantham, and a draw was a fair result. Sullivan scored for the home team, and Yorke (from a penalty) for Newark.

There was a similar result to the match between Lincoln City Reserves and Boston at Lincoln. Pegg (from a penalty) scored for the home team, and Halliday for Boston.