Midland League Results – December 27th, 1921

27 December 1921

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Tuesday 27 December 1921

Midland League.

Thrills in the Don Valley ” Derby.”

The meeting of Mexborough and Denaby on the ground of the latter, yesterday, attracted an attendance of between 5,000 and 6,000. A thrilling and fast game ended in a manner altogether different from what had been generally expected, Mexborough winning by the only goal scored.

Playing with the advantage of the wind and the slope in the first half. Mexborough had slightly the better of the play, and should have taken the lead, both Reed and Armitage missing good chances. In the second half, Denaby applied heavy pressure, but the game had only been in progress for about ten minutes when Mexborough broke away, and scored through Waterfield, who accepted a pass from the right and gave the goalkeeper no chance. Thanks to almost superhuman defensive work by Matt. Taylor, Glover, and Cope, Mexborough retained their lead.

Burkinshaw, Wilson, and Kennedy were the three Denaby men who came nearest to scoring. Mexborough were rather unlucky with their players. Charlie Taylor was put out of action for ten minutes and about mid-way through the first half Ingham, the inside-left, was seriously injured and left the field for good.

Result :– Mexborough 1  Denaby United 0

Mansfield Rather Lucky to Win at Wath.

Mansfield Town were rather lucky to carry away both points from Wath yesterday, when they beat the Athletic by the only goal of the match. A fair crowd witnessed a fast and vigorous game, in which the exchanges were about even. For Mansfield, Sheldon, who scored his side’s goal, was the outstanding player, while Dixon shone on the home left. A high, cross wind spoiled the play as the ball was continually out of touch on the pavilion side. Towards the finish a little roughness entered into the game, and there were frequent appeals from the home crowd for a penalty. A draw would have been a fair reflex of the game.

Result:— Mansfield Town 1  Wath Athletic 0

Rotherham County Res. v. Wombwell.

Wombwell brought a good following to Millmoor for their engagement with Rotherham County Reserves yesterday, and the attendance numbered about 2,000. The home team made several changes, giving a trial to several local lads. Parton (outside-right) gave Wombwell the lead after 15 minutes, and Clarkson equalised eight minutes later. Lloyd put Rotherham ahead in the succeeding minute and Bolsover brought the scores level shortly afterwards. The first half had been fairly even, but after the change of ends, when the exchanges became very fast, the home team exerted strong pressure. Charlesworth scored after half an, hour from a centre by Lloyd and Wallace (J.) got the Comity’s fourth goal.

Result: Rotherham County Res  4  Wombwell  2

Worksop Win at Gainsboro’ and Regain Leadership.

Worksop Town regained the leadership of the Midland League yesterday by visiting and beating Gainsborough Trinity by two goals to none; a victory which they fully deserved, for they were the more powerful side, and faster on the ball. Their first goal came from a penalty after five minutes, and their second near the end, following a scrimmage and much pressure. Trinity had hard lines with a couple of good shots, which struck the Worksop bar. Denton and Harris were the outstanding players on the Gainsborough side. As regards Worksop there was not a weak spot in the team. They played strongly from beginning to the end and made full use of their weight, fairly bustling Trinity off their usual game. The result, after a draw at Worksop, was a great disappointment to the home crowd, which numbered fully 5,000.

Result:— , WORKSOP TOWN 2 Gainsborough Trinity 0

Rotherham Town Beaten at Home.

Approximately 3,000 people witnessed the meeting between Rotherham Town and Barnsley at Clifton Lane yesterday afternoon. The visitors won by the odd goal of three, but they deserved to win by a bigger margin. In the first half Retford, with a ground shot cleverly beat Roebuck, and after the change over the same player, as the outcome of a of good work by Curran, obtained a second. Town, who were now fighting against the wind improved, and Cooper had some anxious moments, chiefly through the wing forwards. Eventually, Glennon neatly placed the ball for Godfrey to score. Town’s pushfulness ought to have been further rewarded very near the end.

Result:— Barnsley Res Rotherham Town

Big Surprise for Grimsby Res.

The leaders, Grimsby Town Res., had a surprise at Boston, yesterday, the home team beating them 5 – 2 before a crowd of 6,000. Grimsby opened the scoring rather fortunately through Raby in the first few minutes, but Barrell equalised. Rabv scored again for Grimsby, but once more Barrell put Boston level, and at halftime the score stood at two goals each. In the second half, however. Boston played strongly. and Dunn, Melson, and Davis all added points without reply.

Result : Boston Town 5  Grimsby Town Res. 2

Doncaster Rovers’ Narrow Win.

Doncaster Rovers beat Hull City Reserves by one goal to none before 5,000 spectators at Doncaster, yesterday. A strong breeze blew across the ground, which was in a greasy condition. The Rovers had a considerably altered forward line, and at, once initiated a strong attack. Before the game had been going many minutes Naylor put across a capital centre which enabled Harrison to get what proved to be the only goal of the match. Shortly afterwards Harrison struck the post with a terrific drive. The Rovers had the best of the game up to halftime, though the play was of a mediocre character. In the second half the Rovers several tides narrowly missed scoring. Kemp gave a beautiful pass to Naylor, who shot wide, and Wainwright, who worked his way through cleverly, was only inches from scoring with Briggs prone and helpless. The home backs played a fine defensive game, Wigglesworth being in capital form. Hendry saved splendidly from Lazenby, and twice in succession from Garrett.

Result : Doncaster Rovers 1 Hull City Reserves 0

Another Good Win for Scunthorpe

Playing the Same eleven which so decisively beat Barnsley Reserves on Saturday, Scunthorpe United were full value for their 4 – 1 win over Lincoln City Reserves yesterday, before the best attendance of the season. For the first half-hour or so the pace was a cracker. The home goal had a narrow escape when Groves struck the upright. After about twenty minutes Whitham was tripped when making for goal, but to the disappointment of the crowd, Whittingham, the old Chelsea star, drove the ball at a terrific pace over the bar. Lincoln then took up the running, and, receiving from Lamming. Lemons headed a glorious goal when it seemed impossible for him to reach the ball. After this Clint made a fine one-hand save from Whitham, but was later beaten by Meredith, whose brilliant goal was a fitting finish to a grand run. Just before the interval Maycock gave Scunthorpe the lead. A clever goal by Whittingham made Scunthorpe’s total into three, and Whitham obtained the fourth with a grand left-foot drive. Forbes, Lincoln’s tall young centre half-back, was the pick of their defence and Lemons, the old Scunthorpe player, was easily their best forward. There was not a weak spot in Scunthorpe’s team, and the fine full-back play of Smith made the absence of Betts (suspended) hardly noticeable. Whitham and Meredith were the most successful forwards.

Result: Scunthorpe United 4  Lincoln City Reserves 1