Midland League Results – December 28th, 1931

28 December 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 28 December 1931

Midland League Home Clubs Nearly Scoop Pool.

Grimsby Regain Leadership

Home clubs had remarkably good day in the Midland League on Saturday, getting 19 points out of a possible 20, and scoring 30 goals against 6. The only visitors to escape defeat were Scarborough, yet, curious to relate, they could not score at Hull.

With Bradford Reserves and Nottingham Forest Reserves disengaged, Grimsby Town Reserves, champions last season, took the opportunity to regain the lead, but each the first named pair has several matches hand of the Lincolnshire club

For the second time this holiday Scunthorpe United were badly beaten by Grimsby Reserves. This time Grimsby scored three goals without reply. For the greater part of the game the Scunthorpe defence had an anxious time, and but for the coolness of Bromage, their goalkeeper. their defeat would have been heavier still. Craven (two) and Holmes scored for Grimsby, who, in the second half, were without Chalmers.

Mexborough’s Second half Revival.

Mexborough Athletic completed a Christmas double with a convincing 4—1 win over Denaby United Hampden Road, before 3,000 spectators.

In a typical derby match, Denaby crossed over holding a lead of one goal, obtained by Gilchrist. Mexborough, who all through showed the better method, gave a great second-half revival, goals coming from Coleman (two), Wilson, and Fleetwood.

Steadiness and co-operation between halves and forwards gave Mexborough the advantage, Wallis, Oxley, and Wassail playing great game in the intermediate line. Of the forwards, who allowed skilful cornbination, Coleman was outstanding on the left wing, and Fleetwood did well.

Denaby had good defence, but the attack lacked shooting ability.

Remarkable Scoring by Loughborough Man

Loughborough Corinthians beat Wombwell 6—2 at Loughborough, but the visitors played a plucky game. Their defence had too much to do. Waring, at outside-right, played a fine game. The match was personal triumph for Sullivan, the former Notts County forward. Leading the Loughborough attack, Sullivan got five goals, the other being scored by Gledden. Briggs and Barber replied for Wombwell.




Defeating Lincoln City Reserves by four goals one on Saturday, Boston secured their third win in succession. Prior to these victories they had only won two matches this season. Porter (two) and Davis (two) scored for Boston, and Lincoln netted for the visitors. The home side had much the better of the play, and the Lincoln defence was no match for the open swinging tactics adopted by the Boston forwards, among whom the wing men w ere outstanding.

Grantham, who were thoroughly beaten at Newark the preceding day, turned the tables on their near rivals in the return on Saturday. Curiously, to point, all the science imported into the play emanated from the Trentsiders, and Reeves extricated his side out of many difficult situations. Once, however, Grantham got lead, from breakaway, they played like a team inspired. Tinklin got the all important goal.

A goalless draw scarcely represented the run the play between Hull City Reserves and Scarborough at Hull. The home team held territorial advantage for most of the game, but were very lax in their shooting. Clarke, trial at outside-loft, created a good impression For the visitors, Williams and Turner played very well in defence, and Freer was the best man attack which had few chances.

Following a draw of one goal each York on Christmas Day, Mansfield beat York in the return match by one goal—a real trimmer scored by Broom in the second half. It was not a very thrilling game. Thornton and Parker played finely for the losers, and Robin.-on, Staples, and Broom were tbe pick of Mansfield.

Doncaster Turn the Tables.

By defeating Gainsborough Trinity 3 – 1 at Doncaster on Saturday the Rovers Reserves won by exactly the same score as their opponents beat them at Gainsborough the previous day. The Rovers were well worth their victory, and was only the fine play of Mobbs in the Gainsborough goal, and the somewhat wild marksmanship of their forwards, that prevented them from piling a big score. Yeardley (two) and Beresford scored for the home side, and Robinson for Gainsborough, whose best men were Mobbs and Vallance. Tate and Critchley played well for Doncaster.

Chesterfield Reserves won the return game with Rotherham Reserves at Saltergate by four goals to none, scored Egan (three) and Thornewell, before 3,000. They were full value for their decisive win, although they lost the services of Schofield, their right-hack, early in the game. He and Tordoff collided. Schofield received damaged knee, and Tordoff, who hurt his head, went outside-right after the interval. Skull made creditable show for the visitors, especially in the first half.

For Chesterfiejd, Thornewell and Cochrane were elusive and subtle, and Robb, who returned after a long absence, was a pronounced success.

Frickley registered their third win of the season in convincing style by defeating Barnsley Reserves 4—1 at South Elmsall. The home forwards showed delightful understanding, whilst Hayhurst and Harvey were staunch defenders. Young scored for Barnsley and Oakes equalised in the first half. Afterwards Barber put Frickley ahead, and Mundy added two more goals.