Midland League Results – February 16th, 1931

16 February 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 16 February 1931

Midland League Leaders Again Do Well.

Convincing Win at Gainsborough.

Denaby’s Big Bump.

Following their mid-week home defeat, Grimsby Town Reserves, who hold a big lead in the Midland League, gained a splendid 5-1 win at Gainsborough on Saturday.

Despite the defeat, Gainsborough showed much improved form. They were unlucky not take the lead first, but this fell to Moulson, and though Robinson equalised the next minute Moulson added two moe before the interval. Craven netted twice in the second half, his last one resulting when Reynolds took a flying kick at the ball and it rebounded into the net off Craven. .The return of Moulson and Fielding the Grimsby attack meant much to the visitors, who were well served in defence. Green was the pick of the Gainsborough forwards, who missed many chances.

The match between Notts County Reserves and Denaby United, at Meadow Lane, turned out a most one-sided affair, the County taking the lead after twelve minutes and eventually winning by 9—1. They were too fast and clever for Denaby.

Hall, Nelson (2), and Turner scored for Notts before Fisher scored for Denaby in the first half, and in the second Nelson did the “hattrick” and Maw and Watkins each netted once.

Shirebrook’s 3- 2 victory over Chesterfield Reserves was well deserved, for they did most attacking, while their determined tackling prevented the visiting attack from settling down. Kaye (Sbirebrook) and Lee (Chesterfield) scored in the first half, but after the change of ends and despite the fact that Morris had to go to outside-right owing to leg trouble. Shirebrook had Chesterfield practically penned their own half. Jarvis made some good saves, but was beaten header from Morris and clever individual goal by Staniforth. Chesterfield rallied desperately, and, attempting clear, Smith (L.) put through his own goal.

An Improved Doncaster.

Doncaster Rovers Reserves showed improved form in defeating Corinthians 4—0 at Belle Vue, a notable feature being the smart work of their forwards. Loughborough were outclassed, only Wilks, the ex-Doncast«r and Sunderland forward making any real impression on the home defence. Carr, Barber, Gladwin, and Lievesley were the scorers. Gladwin and Barber were Doncaster’s best forward.

After giving promising a first half display at Hull, Wombwell fell away later, and were beaten 4-1. City Reserves found Best a difficult custodian beat, and in the first half scored through Speed. After the interval Speed and Turner (2) added further goals, Ellis replying for Wombwell. Womb well were weakened when Wheatley, their right back, had to retire in the second half owing to an injury.

Rotherham United Reserves were flattered by the score of 3—2 against them at Newark, for whilst the game was fairly even in the first half, the second stage developed into long struggle between the home attack and Ward, the Rotherham goalkeeper. Allowing for easy chances missed Brooks and Adey, only the brilliance Ward stood between Newark and a huge score. Roseboom, Yorke (penalty), and McLean scored for Newark, and Johnson and Hackford for Rotherham.

Tye in Great Form.

A gruelling game on a heavy ground at Lincoln ended in the City Reserves beating Mansfield Town by 2 —0. The young “Imps” merited their win, for they had the bigger share of attack, and their approach work was good. Their finishing, however, lacked the usual sting. Mansfield were best served Watson and Goddard, forwards, while both defences stood out well. March and Halliday (penalty) were the scorers. This was Lincoln’s second win over Mansfield this season.

Although beaten 4—1 by Bradford Reserves at Bradford, Mexborough in the early stages played well, and with little steadiness front of would have scored. An injury to Bungay then handicapped the side, and Atherton scored a good goal for Bradford. In the second half Atherton added two more goals, and Godfrey also scored, whilst Hakes scored for Mexborough. But for Tye’s brilliant goalkeeping Mexborough’s defeat would have been heavier.

Bradford City Reserves at home had to fight hard to defeat Scarborough by 3—2. In the first half Bradford were the better side, but threw away many scoring chances, and a lucky goal by Maskill enabled Scarborough to change ends on an equality. Scarborough improved greatly in the second half, and did not deserve be beaten. Severn and Culliford defended stoutly for the visitors, whilst the City were served best by Bainbridge, Hargreaves, and Watson. Unwin (2) and Bainbridge scored for Bradford, and Maskill and Burley for Scarborough.

Scunthorpe United thoroughly deserved their victory at Boston, although two of the goals were “gifts,” Boston defenders putting through their own goal each case. The visitors were the cleverer side, though Boston missed several good openings. The home half-backs were poor. Blakely headed through his own goal from Johnson’s centre after half-an-hour, and ten minutes later Oakton added a second with a fine drive. A minute after the resumption Streets, in trying to kick clear, struck Foulkes and the ball rebounded into the untenanted goal.

Forest Reserves Conquer Grantham.

Grantham were quite overshadowed by Nottingham Forest Reserves, for whom Rayner and McKay scored, and were beaten 2—0. It was a clean, interesting encounter, but the visitors, particularly in attack, were much superior, and but for Mobbe, in goal, would have won by a heavier score. Except for Sullivan, who worked unceasingly, the home quintette had an off day, and found Coyles and J. W. Burton an invulnerable pair of backs.