Midland League Results – February 29th, 1932

29 February 1932

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 29 February 1932

Good Performances In Midland League.

Scunthorpe and Gainsborough surprise the Two Bradford Teams.

Two Lincolnshire clubs, Scunthorpe United and Gainsborough Trinity, had the distinction of accomplishing the best performances of the season the Midland League on Saturday, when Scunthorpe United beat Bradford City Reserves 3- 1  at Valley Parade, and Gainsborough accounted for Bradford Reserves 5 – 0.

Bradford Reserves did not show championship form at Gainsborough, Robinson (2) and Douglas scored in the first half, and after the interval Mills, who gave a brilliant display on the right wing, got two goals.

Fell and Wills were the outstanding players on the field. Bradford showed clever footwork, but they met a very reliable defence, and Mobbs was safe in goal.

 Boston enhanced their already excellent home record on Saturday by beating Notts Forest Reserves 1 – 0. Porter scored about 30 minutes from the end. Boston were superior throughout the game, the finishing of the Nottingham forwards being particularly weak.

Mexborough Rally

Mexborough Athletic deserved their 2—1 win over Rotherham United Reserves.

Rotherham led 1—0 at half-time, the goal being scored by Parkin, but Mexborough, later, aided the wind, had a second half revival and scored twice through Fleetwood. Mexborough’s defence was sound, while Jones, newcomer, at left half, was the pick of the half-back line. J. Albnson and Fleetwood were the best the forwards. For Rotherham Smailes. the centre half, was outstanding, and Parkin and Cockroft showed speed and skill in the forward line.

Newark forwards gave a disappointing exhibition against Denaby United, who deserved to draw 2—2 at Newark. The visitors played with better judgment and established an early lead of two goals through Adams, who was the outstanding player on the field.

In the second half Denaby well held their own with the wind against them and was not until the closing stages that Newark scored through Burgon and in desperate finish Firth equalised.

Speedy Scunthorpe Forwards.

Scunthorpe United gained a well-merited 3—-1 win over Bradford City Reserves at Valley Parade. The visitors’ forwards were lively lot and pierced a weak City defence aa the result of clever and speedy work by Reed and Dawson on the left wing, while Summers, the home centre-half, could never get the measure of Methven, who scored two of Scunthorpe goals. Reed got the third. Bradford City’s forwards wasted numerous opportunities. Medley scoring their only goal straight from the kick-off.

Lincoln made a splendid recovery in the second half, at Loughborough, and after being 5—1 behind at half-time only lost 5—3. Lincoln put up a poor show at first. Edwards played well in the front line, but the defence was shaky The scorers were: Hackett, Underwood, Sullivan (2), Glidden for Loughborough, and Atkinson and Gregory (2) for Lincoln.

Doncaster Rovers Reserves were narrowly defeated 4—2 by Notts County Reserves at Meadow Lane.The home side were a goal up in the first minute through Andrews, and the same player added another 33 minutes later. Doncaster rallied and Potter, their centre, put them on level terms, but Andrews completed a hat-trick ten minutes before time and added a fourth goal five minutes later.

Scarborough’s Hectic Time.

Had Barnsley Reserves accepted ail the chances which came their way in their match with Scarborough Town, at Oakwell, they would have won by a far bigger score than 7 – 1. A lively attack in which Harvey, Chivers and Young were outstanding gave the Scarborough defence no rest.

Maskill converted two penalties. Harvey performed the hat-trick in the second half, and other goals were scored by Young and Chivers. Barnsley s halves strong, with Shears a prominent c borough had a weakened team and a solitarv goal was the result of a clever head by Devey

Seizing their opportunities, York City Reserves beat Frickley Colliery 2—0 at South Elmsall on Saturday.  Though fielding a weak side Frickley were more aggressive throughout but met with a sound defence..

York scored both their goals when playing against the strong wind in the second half. McCabe going through while the Frickley backs were appealing for offside to score a simple goal. The second was obtained the last minute by Moore, a 17-year-old ex-schoolboy international, who gave fine display at inside-Ieft on his first appearance with the team. Wade (right back) played well for Frickley.