Midland League Results – February 2nd 1931

2 February 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 02 February 1931

Denaby Spring Midland League Surprise.

Draw At Oakwell.

Lowly Frickley Gain Welcome Points.

One of the surprises of Saturday’s Midland League games was the point gained by Denaby United from the Oakwell stronghold with a draw. Barnsley had much the better of the game, but they missed several easy chances. From clearance Skeels broke away and cleverly outwitted Hayhurst, for to give Denaby the lead. Ashall played a great part in Denaby’s draw, for on three occasions kicked the ball off the goal-line with Brannon beaten. Brannon, however, was the top of his form, and was particularly effective in a stubborn defence. Harston and Kerry were the pick of the Barnsley line, the former darting forward to equalise from a centre from Ashton. Hayhurst was the better of Barnsley’s backs, and the half-back line was generally too good for Denaby’s attack, among whom Skeels and Mundy were the best.

The experiment trying Wheatley, back, at centre-forward was not a success, and consequently Wombwell lost at home to Rotherham United Reserves 2 —0. The game was evenly contested, Wombwell’s combination between half-backs and forwards being very effective. The inside forwards, however, failed to control ball or shoot with precision. Rotherham had the wind at their backs in the second half and were the stronger side, Murdin and Cooke scoring. Smailes was a powerful centre-half, and Parkin the pick of five enterprising forwards for Rotherham. Swift served Wombwell well at centre half.

Doncaster Rovers Reserves, before a poor gate at Doncaster, were defeated 1—0 by Grantham, Sullivan scoring. The visitors were the better side, though Doncaster had chances which were spoilt by lack of finish. Doncaster were without their centre-forward, Adams, for half the game. For Grantham, Mann, Cooke, and Sullivan did well in attack. Barber was Doncaster’s best forward, and Beighton the pick of a poor middle line.

Improvement Maintained.

Frickley Colliery continued their recent improvement beating Chesterfield Reserves 3 – 2 South Elmsall; the score accurately representing the exchanges. Frickley started with a rush which yielded two goals in the first seven minutes, through Chipperfield and Whiteley, but then eased up and Elliott reduced the arrears from a penalty. In the second half Frickley made the mistake of playing the short passing game on a heavy ground, and Chesterfield, swinging the ball about, had more of the game, and Walker equalised. The Colliery improved towards the end, and Chipperfield, right-back, who played at inside-right with pronounced success, gave them the lead.

Mexborough did not deserve to be beaten 2 —1 by Bradford City Reserves at Valley Parade, for they had a fair share of the play. In the first half, with the wind and sleet behind them, Mexborough did a tremendous amount of attacking which would have resulted in more than the solitary goal scored by Wassell had they been steadier in front of goal. In the second half the visitors relied mainly on defence. Tye was brilliant in goal, but Stevenson beat him with powerful long range shot, the second goal being scored by Hall.

Only 855 spectators, the smallest attendance of the season, saw Scunthorpe United defeat Bradford Reserves by 1—0, the goal being scored by Beynon 15 minutes from the end. Scunthorpe played better in the second half, with the wind, than did Bradford when the wind was in their favour. Scunthorpe had good defence, Ross, Webster, and being outstanding, but was the only successful inside-forward. Kilcar was Bradford’s cleverest forward, and they had a good defence. The net receipts only amounted to £38 10s. 5d.

Loughborough Corinthians defeated Gainsborough Trinity at Loughborough after hard-fought game, in which there was little to choose between the teams. The second half was played in snowstorm, strong wind blowing the snow into faces of the Trinity players. Vesey and Kell played well at back, and Robinson was prominent centre-forward. Robinson (two) and Moralee scored for Gainsborough, and Wilkes (two), Harris, and Murden for Loughborough.

Streets, in the Boston goal, was the hero in the match at Shirebrook, which resulted in a 3—0 victory for the Lincolnshire side. He was in brilliant form, and saved many difficult shots in a masterly fashion. Boston adapted their play to wretched conditions the better, and in second half, when Morris, the home centre-forward, had to retire injured, they dominated the position and fully deserved their victory. Shirebrook had the better of the exchanges in the first half, but missed many openings. Pearson (two) and Weale scored for Boston.

Lincoln City Reserves, in a rather scrappy game, fully deserved their 5—1 win over Hull City Reserves at Hull. Lincoln took the lead when Wright, the Hull right-back, put through his own goal, and WhaJley and added further goals before Duncan scored for Hull. In the second half Pegg and March scored for Lincoln. Meeson gave good display in the Lincoln goal. Higham was sound centre-half, and Whalley was well supported by Pegg and March in the forwards.