Midland League Results – February 9th, 1931

9 February 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 09 February 1931

Midland League Champions Lose Again.

No Drawn Games.

Fifth Successive Defeat for Gainsborough.

There was not a single drawn game in the twelve Midland League matches played on Saturday. Six home teams were successful, and five visitors secured full points, while the Lincoln-Newark match was abandoned with Lincoln leading.

Chesterfield Reserves, entertaining Nottingham Forest Reserves, sustained their heaviest reverse of the season by 7—2, the game at Nottingham last October being lost 7—3. Nottingham have now scored over 100 goals this season. On the heavy ground the home front line was disjointed, and there was a lack of support from the half-backs, where Machent alone was effective. Walker scored both Chesterfield’s goals, while for the Forest, Raynor (4), Mackay, Armstrong, and Smalley (own scored. A. E. Bell and Jarvis did sound work in the home defence.

Boston beat Wombwell 3 – 0 at Boston. The match was played in thick fog, and from the stand it was not possible to see either goal. Pearson and Robinson scored for Boston in the first half-hour. Five minutes later Earle scored a good goal with a cross shot. In the second half play was slightly in favour of Boston, but there was no further scoring.

Although beaten 3—2, Denaby United put up a good show at Mansfield, and fully deserved point. Fisher, Denaby’s right winger, was outstanding forward. For the winners Hill, Hargreaves, and Goddard scored, and for Denaby Munday and Jackson (own goal) were the scorers. The attendance was again very disappointing.

Another Defeat for Champions.

A fine rally in the lost quarter of hour enabled Grantham to beat Scarborough 4—2. The first half was even, Perry and Rand scoring for their respective sides. Stevenson put Grantham ahead on resuming. Then Hill coolly headed the equaliser after numerous onslaughts on Grantham’s goal, but then Grantham strove desperately, and goals from Stevenson and Perry secured the points.

Gainsborough lost their fifth successive League match on Saturday, when Hull City beat them 4—0. Hull played clever football, and on the snow-covered ground few of their passes went astray. The visitors led 1—0 at half-time. Turner scoring after 15 minutes. In the second half when Trinity tired, Turner completed his hat-trick. Gunn scored. Moralee, Kell, and Dodsworth were Gainsborough’s best players.

At Meadow Lane, Notts County Reserves beat Shirebrook 5—3 in a thoroughly interesting game. Maw did the “hat-trick” for Notts in the first half and Shooter added fourth, while Staniforth got one for Shirebrook. In the second half Haden scored for Notts and O. Smith and Kaye for Shirebrook.

Doncaster Player Sent Off.

Rough play marred the match at Scunthorpe between Scunthorpe and Doncaster Rovers, and J. Smith, of Doncaster was sent off the field. Scunthorpe, who won 3—1, were undoubtedly the better side, but an hour passed before a goal was scored, and then, strange to say, it went to Doncaster. It was the forcefulness of Wadsworth that enabled him to beat Bromage with second shot, and then, in a scrimmage, Carr, Doncaster’s right half, put through his own goal and equalised. Beynon, who missed a penalty, later added two more goals. Only 846 people watched the play.

Bradford played a great game to win 3—1 at Loughborough. At one time it looked as if the match would end a draw, but Bradford got two goals in the closing period. Harwood scored the goals for Bradford and Harris replied for Loughborough.

Rotherham United Reserves put up a good fight against Bradford City Reserves at Millmoor, and did not deserve to lose 3—2. Rotherham started well, Parkin scoring with minute, and before the interval, when Rotherham led the odd goal, Murden put in shot which seemed to have gone over the line, but the effort ,was disallowed. After half-time Rotherham fell away, and Unwin, Stevenson, and Bainbridge scored for the visitors. The home side managed to secure a second goal through Cooke.

A Match of Misfortunes.

The match between Mexborough and Barnsley Reserves at Mexborough, which the visitors won 4—0, was marred by injuries to players, accidentally caused through the slippery condition of the ground. After 15 minutes Mexborough had Evans, their right back, carried off with severely injured log, and at the interval Bratley, their other back, had to retire with an injured knee. At that period Barnsley had established a lead through Kerry (2) and Storer, and subsequently Mexborough with nine men put up a plucky display, and Barnsley only added a further goal through Ashton. Twenty minutes from the end Harston, the Barnsley centre-forward, was injured. Ashton and Storer, the former Mexborough forwards, were the beat of the Barnsley attack. Bungay was again Mexborough’s best forward, and Danford a tireless worker at half-back.

Ten goals were scored Blundell Park in the match between Grimsby Reserves and Frickley Colliery, but it is doubtful if any of the spectators saw all the goals owing the fog. At interval Grimsby (had five clear goals lead. The scorers were Ponting (2), Craven (2), Joyce (2), and Watson (2).

After Lincoln City Reserves and Newark Town had been playing in a thick fog on the Sincil Bank for about 75 minutes the referee abandoned the game. The score was then 4—3 in Lincoln’s favour. Halliday did the “hat trick,’’ and March also scored, and McLean, Hoddinott, and Roseboom replied for the visitors. Despite the conditions the official was 3,181.