Midland League Results – January 12th 1931

12 January 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 12 January 1931

Midland League.

Costly Defensive Errors by Scunthorpe.

Mansfield Win.

In the ten Midland League matches Saturday all the away teams found the net, but two of the home teams, Doncaster Rovers Reserves and Newark, failed to score.

Although the score of 5—1 against might not suggest it, Rotherham United Reserves put a game fight at Grimsby, and at the interval the score was 1 —1. Grimsby were the more impressive, but the forwards were apt play too closely together. The feature of the whole match was the remarkable goalkeeping of Ward the Rotherham goal, for he undoubtedly prevented Grimsby piling up a big score. Cook scored for Rotherham, whilst Grimsby’s ‘goals were netted Barley (2), Craven. Dodds, and Hall.

At Mansfield, on a very treacherous ground, Mansfield Town defeated Chesterfield Reserves 6—2. after the visitors had drawn level in the second half. Late in the game Mansfield scored four times, and were easy winners. Frith (2), Hill, Goddard (2), and Trotman were responsible for the home team’s goals, and Walker and Beedall got through for Chesterfield.

Mexborough Lose at Home.

Nottingham Forest Reserves were lucky to win 1—0 at Newark. Armstrong scored the goal with a long shot after 37 minutes. Ashton did wonders in the second half, but despite tremendous pressure the Forest defence never wavered during lengthy spell of attacking.

Players had difficulty in keeping a foothold on the greasy surface Grantham. The home team won 3—1 after a listless bout, in which perhaps the most conspicuous man on the field was Wombwell’s centre-half, Swift, His ball control was admirable, and his feeding of the forwards excellent. Howe scored very early for Wombwell, breezing through after Hawkins had hit the upright, but Stevenson, following clever work Sullivan, levelled the scores, and Sullivan and Cooke added goals after halftime.

Mexborough Athletic, with their best team, except for the absent Wilson, slumped surprisingly on their own ground in opposition to Gainsborough Trinity, and lost 4 —1. Robinson (2), Dodworth, and Morallee scored for Gainsborough, while could only reply with one from Hakes. Each side missed with penalty-kick, and through most of the game Gainsborough’s superiority was evident. Their defence was sound, and their forwards, particularly Morallee and Green on their left-wing, were much more effective than those of the home side. Only Bungay in the front line and Bratley at left-back were conspicuous for Mexborough.

Shirebrook Adopt Right Tactics.

Denaby United lost 3—1 at Lincoln. On the frost-bound ground the Denaby players kept their feet better than the home team in the first half and they took the lead in 22 minutes and held it until just on the interval when Lincoln obtained the equaliser. The Imps improved considerably in the second period and had most of the game. They added two more goals. The visitors had dangerous left wing in Nutter and Skeels. March (2) and Thursby scored for Lincoln, and Bowan for Denaby.

Realising that the long passing game was best on a treacherous surface, Shirebrook reaped their reward at Doncaster and fully deserved their 4—0 win over the Reserves. The Shirebrook backs were always too good for the opposing forwards and the Rovers also displayed half-back weakness. Morris (2), Bowater, and Smith (J, J.) were the scorers for the visitors, but the best man was Staniforth, who was the brains of the side. Bowater, Morris, and Smith (W. L.) were also conspicuous. Smith (J.) was the only Doncaster player to himself justice, though Vickers and Atkin tried hard.

Bradford fully deserved their 4—1 win over Loughborough. It was chiefly in attack that Bradford held the advantage, the visitors being disjointed owing to the absence Harris. Geldard, Gibbs, Pringle, and Atherton scored for Bradford, and Murden for Loughborough.

Scunthorpe’s Defensive Errors.

Scunthorpe United lost 2—1 at home treacherous ground to Hull City Reserves. The home team deservedly led at the interval by Pattison’s goal, and was bad defensive play that permitted A. Turner to equalise. Hull had most of the play in the last half-hour, but Gunn should have been tackled before scored the winning goal. The attendance was only 1,200, and the net receipts £51 17s.

Barnsley Reserves forfeited two valuable points at Boston, where they lost 3 —2 to the home team. Ridyard scored the only goal the first half from penalty, but a minute after halftime Robinson levelled the scores, and followed up with two more goals to complete his “hat-trick.” Harston got Barnsley’s other point. Boston played very well and Crompton was well tested in Barnsley’s goal. In one spell of 20 minutes, Streets, the Boston goalkeeper, only handled the ball once.