Midland League Results – January 15th

15 January 1929

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 14 January 1929

Midland League.
Junior’s Six Goals On Debut For Barnsley.
A Wath “Discovery.”

Nearly 50 goals were scored in the nine matches played in the Midand League on Saturday, and no fewer than 20 of these were scared in two matches.

Barnsley Reserves had a good afternoon at home against Staveley Town, whom they defeated 9—2. Haigh, a young centre-forward on trial from West Melton, gave very impressive display and scored six of his side’s goals. Barnsley were much the better side, and Storer, who made his first appearance for the Oakwell club, found the net inside a minute, whilst persistency led to his second goal. Most of the goals came a result of his many excellent centres, from one of which Stanley Dixon, who was tried at outside left, scored with a splendid header. Staveley attacked strongly in the closing stages, and Breedon crowned a splendid display of goalkeeping by saving a penalty taken by Luck. Staveley’s goals did not come until near the end, Meads scoring from close in and Lack finding the net from a free-kick just outside the penalty area.

It was a creditable performance on the part of Boston to win 2—l at Scunthorpe, for only Newark have this season succeeded in taking two points away from the old show ground, and that was last August. Boston’s half-backs, E. Craven, Levick, and Richardson, and Streets (goalkeeper) had much to do with the side’s success, although the actual goals (scored by Hoyland and Jenkinson) were good ones. Mooney was again outstanding in Scunthorpe s defence, but the forwards were not effective. Allen, who is playing well, and is the club s top scorer, scored a grand goal for Scunthorpe shortly after half-time.

Five for E. Murdin.

Wath Athletic were far too good for Worksop, and their 8 —1 victory was the best of the season. Wath made the experiment of playing E. Murdin, their inside-left, at centre-forward, and the new leader scored five his side’s goals. Hargreaves, who played well and fully justified his return to the side, also scored, and Dawber and Bedford, both half-backs, one each. Harvey scored for Worksop. The visitors were undoubtedly handicapped in ‘the second half by the absence their goalkeeper, Best, who was badly injured just before half-time. At first was thought he had fractured his ankle, but medical examination proved the injury to nothing worse than a severe bruise.

Rotherham United Reserves had easy task to obtain two points from Scarborough on Saturday Millmoor, but in doing so they secured their sixth successive win. The visitors played clever football, and scored first through Clayton, and Parkin replied for Rotherham, Coleman (D.) gave Rotherham the lead before the interval and scored again early in the second half. Jukes soon afterwards scored for Scarborough, who lost 3—2. Collins kept goal well for the visitors.

Gainsborough Trinity defeated Chesterfield Reserves 3-0 at Gainsborough. Chesterfield were hardly in the picture; in fact Sewell, the Trinity ’keeper, touched the ball only about dozen times. Before Shaw gave them their first goal, which was hotly disputed on the ground of offside. Gainsborough had literally swamped the visitors. In the second half Myers scored a couple brilliant goals, especially the second when he, crashed the ball past Peeke from Shaw’s pass. Towards the end the game became rough, and Referee Tinkler had to issue a general warning. Chesterfield had Wass and Beaton to thank for keeping the score low. Keating and Croft were outstanding for Gainsborough.

No Luck for Shirebrook.

Shirebrook, who lost 3—1 to Hull City Reserves, gave an excellent display especially in the first half, and ought at least to have shared the points. They dominated the play throughout the greater portion of the first half, and was only Gibson’s brilliance in goal that deprived them the advantage of big lead at the interval. After being on the defensive for fully 35 minutes Hill broke away and Nelson, eluding the defence, opened his side’s account. In the second half Hull were seen to advantage, and tho heavy turf showed the better stamina. Nelson, Murray, and Sullivan scored for the visitors, and Miller (penalty) for the home side.

At York, Grimsby were hardly value for the 2 draw. The City forwards wore the smarter set, but missed badly several times from close range. Grimsby scored after eight minutes, Glover netting after Newell had hit an upright. Cowie equalised after half an hour. Glover again put Grimsby ahead in the second half, but Forrest equalised within two minutes. The Town goal had several narrow escapes before the finish.

A combination of delightful team work in the opening half enabled Frickley Colliery to defeat Grantham 3—1. They had taken the lead within less a minute (through Pagden) and although from one of their occasional periods of attacking Grantham were able to equalise through Keeton, Frickley were much more businesslike in their movements, and Wade scored two clever goals. In the second half Grantham pressed continuously, and did almost everything but score.

Mexborough proved no match for the strong team Notts County Reserves put in the field at Meadow Lane and lost 5—0, the scoring being done in the first half. Holdsworth led off in six minutes, then Vellans turned a shot from Downham through his own goal. Holdsworth shot a third, Kemp was fouled and scored a fourth from the penalty, and Holdsworth got his third of the afternoon. Scott afterwards missed penalty for visitors.

Sensational Result at Molineux

Mansfield Town into Fourth Round of Challenge Cup

Staggering results, typical of the Football Association’s famous Challenge Cup competition, were provided the third round ties decided on Saturday. There can have been few more sensational rounds. No fewer than eleven past winners of the Cup were knocked out, and non-League teams created the greatest astonishment. I

Beyond shadow of doubt, the most amazing feat was that performed by Mansfield Town, the Midland League team, whose officials, one time, were anxious to gain admission into the Northern Section. Visiting sides to the Molineux ground rarely succeed, especially in the English Cup competition —Chelsea failed there last year in the corresponding round —and everyone must admire the courageous Mansfield players. They deserve hearty congratulations. It is believed that no other Midland League club has ever got so far in the Cup tournament since competition was reorganised. Town, however, have had a very useful team for some seasons, and the hard school of the Midland League they have done well. They prevented the Wanderers settling down and won by the only goal scored. Keen and fearless, Mansfield were seldom at fault in their kicking.

The Day’s Surprise.

Mansfield Upset Form and Defeat “Wolves.”

Great Performance.

The big surprise in the F.A. Cup Competition was provided by Mansfield Town, the Midland League club, who defeated Wolverhampton Wanderers on the latter’s ground. Mansfield Town are the only club left in the competition which has played in the qualifying round —they wore exempt until the fourth qualifying round —and in all their matches to date they have been drawn away. It is curious that Mansfield Town nearly provided surprise in the fourth qualifying round, for it was only at the second attempt they were able to dispose of Ardsley Athletic, a Barnsley Association League club. Their Cup record to date is;—

4th Qualifying Round v. Ardsley Athletic, won 2 – 0, after 2 – 2 draw at Ardsley.
Ist Round Proper v. Shirebrook, won 4—2, at Shirebrook.
2nd Round v. Barrow, won 2— 1, at Barrow
3rd Round v. Wolverhampton Wanderers, won 1-0 at Wolverhampton.

The Midland Leaguers thoroughly deserved their success at Wolverhampton, they played bright attractive football, and combined skill with hefty kicking, and frequently had their rivals in difficulties.

Brilliant Goalkeeping.

Arthur Staples, the Notts cricketer, was the “star” performer in the defence. He brought off two fine saves in the early stages which inspired confidence for the remainder of the game, and his positional play later was a feature. Anthony and Jackson were reliable backs, they kicked well under pressure and broke up attack after attack in relentless fashion. Chambers stood out well at centre-half, displaying matured judgments in building up attacks. Of the forwards, Morris and Staniforth were repeatedly troublesome, when endeavouring to profit from excellent centres put in by McLachlan and Cooke. McLachlan obtained the only goal of the match 26 minutes after the start. Cooke put him in possession by lifting the ball over Shaw’s head. Staniforth got the ball into the net a second time, but was ruled offside. It was a rousing game from start to finish, and the Wanderers retired a well beaten side.

Cheers For Victors.

Great Reception for Mansfield Players.

Mansfield Town had a great reception on returning home from Wolverhampton on Saturday night. The players, travelling in one of the special trains with the supporters, reached Mansfield shortly before 10 o’clock, but for an hour before that time the station approaches were thronged with thousands of people.

The Mayor and Mayoress (Alderman and Mrs. J. A. Beck), were on the platform to give the victorious team their congratulations. When the players appeared they were loudly cheered, and the Mayor congratulated them upon their wonderful achievement. Their win was all the more meritorious because of the fine record in the past of the Wanderers in Cup-ties. The Mayor said they all hoped their luck would turn in to-day’s draw and that Mansfield would have the honour of seeing one of the great football teams Field Mill in the next round. At the call of the Mayor, cheers were given for the captain of the team, Chris. Staniforth, who thanked the crowd for their reception.

Mr. George Amiable (chairman of the directors) said the supporters of the Wolverhampton Wanderers proved themselves to be good sportsmen, and after the match one of the first to offer his congratulations was the secretary of the Wolverhampton club. Outside the station, Staniforth was carried shoulder high by admirers.