Midland League Results – January 19th 1931

19 January 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 19 January 1931

Midland League: A Century of Goals.

Grimsby’s Power.

Rotherham Spring a Mine at Gainsborough.

Grimsby’s win over Scarborough just completed a century of goals for the Midland League loaders. The game was a keen one and Scarborough found they were up against a tough proposition. Grimsbv always held the upper hand and Poskett, in the Grimsby goal, had practically nothing to do. Turner, the Scarborough custodian, got through a lot of difficult work with credit. Cooper scored two goals—one from penalty—and Fielding one.

At Denaby, Bradford Reserves won by 6—1. The visitors gradually assumed an ascendancy and the close came they were playing easily. Douglas opened the scoring with a splendid fast ground shot, but Skeels equalised after a sparkling solo effort. Before half-time. Harwood took a long pass to get the second, whilst Godfrey sent in a terrific long shot for the third. In the second half, Douglas, Gibbs, and Harwood scored with strong shots after beating opposition and giving Brannan no chance of saving. lacked finish and the forwards were hardly ever dangerous near goal. Munday, a new centre from Chesterfield, had a poor day.

Improvement at Chesterfield.

Chesterfield Reserves’ 4—1 victory over Grantham at Saltergate came after four successive defeats. Bell (A. E.), Walker, Baldwin, and Topper registered their four goals, while Sullivan scored for the losers. The home attack was in much better fettle than usual, the wingers getting across plenty of centres. Grantham were so disappointed with their forwards that at the interval three positional changes were made. Edwin Wass did sound defensive work for the homo side, and Edwards was an alert and clever ’keeper.

After scoring goal and holding tight grip for the major part of their game with Hull City Reserves, at Belle Vue, on Saturday, Doncaster Rovers Reserves had to be content with draw. Defences were predominant, and although Doncaster had a point from Barber disqualified for offside, they did not lose heart. Hull fought back well in the closing minutes, and deserved their goal. Adams netted for Doncaster, and Turner (A.) replied for Hull. Doncaster were best served by Smith (J.), Tate, Barber, and Foster (a newcomer from Grantham), while Maddison and Turner CA.) played well for Hull. Wolstenholme. inside-right from Hallam, was trial for the Rovers.

Wombwell and Nottingham Forest Reserves scored three goals each on “tit for tat’’ lines at Wombwell, neither side at any time being more than one goal ahead. Wombwell took the lead five minutes from the end, and the spectators were expecting the final whistle to go when the Forest equalised. This was typical of a game full of interest and surprises. Wombwell gave a clever display, all round. Swift earned applause for powerful exhibition centre-half. The scorers were Swift, Wraith, and Hawkins for Wombwell, and Brown, Burton, and Howie for the Forest.

Rotherham’s Capital Victory.

Gainsborough Trinity were caught napping in surprising manner on the Northolme when they allowed Rotherham United Reserves, one of the lowliest placed clubs in the League, to defeat them by 2—0. Parkin, a thrustful centre-forward, scored in the first two minutes, and added another with the last kick of the match. Rotherham were good value for their win, adapting their game to the windy conditions. They swung the ball well about. Trinity pressed hard on several evasions, but Ward and his backs met all their efforts in confident style.

Shirebrook’s 3-3 draw with Newark Town, at the White Swan, was a fair result. Newark played the better football, but in the first half they had a strong wind and sun behind them, allies which were almost non-existent when the teams turned round. Shirebrook were handicapped through the absence of J. J. Smith, outside-right, injured. Bedford was outstanding in the half-back line, but Wilson, in goal, was not quite himself, though he made one or two brilliant clearances. Newark were a wellbalanced side, attack and defence being exceptionally strong. Morris. Bowater. and Bedford scored for Shirebrook, and Speed (2) and Hoddinott for Newark.

Scunthorpe Fall Heavily.

Scunthorpe United suffered their heaviest home defeat (0—5) of the season, the lively Lincoln forwards and experienced defenders being much too good for them. For the greater part of the game, however. Scunthorpe were disorganised as Hilton, the centre-half, twisted his knee. He retired altogether ten minutes after the interval. Kitching and March were always dangerous forwards, and Meeson (goal), Worthy and Ward (backs) were the finest defence seen on the Old Show ground this season. The scorers were March (3), Pegg and Whalley. The “gate” was only £50.

At Boston. Mansfield opened their account at the end of 35 minutes. Goddard scoring fine goal. Play, generally speaking, was decidedly in Boston’s favour, but they failed in front of goal. Boston equalised through Weale late in the second half.

Frickley Colliery’s reorganised team was pronounced success at South Elmsall on Saturday, Barnsley Reserves being fortunate to draw 3—3. For three-quarters of a thrilling game Barnsley were on the defensive. Frickley’s improvement was chiefly due to the introduction of Fitzpatrick, centre-forward from Hemsworth Victoria Rovers, who gave good display and obtained two goals. Whiteley scored the third with glorious shot from near the half-way line. Harston led the Barnsley attack well and scored twice. Ridyard, who was the pick, of the halves, adding the third.