Midland League Results – January 21st

21 January 1929

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 21 January 1929

Midland League.
Clayson Again Scores Four For Scarborough.
No Away Team Wins.

Home teams had the better of matters in the Midland League, eight of them winning and the other three games being drawn. Lincoln City Reserves strengthened their hold the lead by defeating Mansfield Town 2 —1, this match being commented upon in another column.

A goalless draw was fitting result to the game between Barnsley Reserves and Gainsborough Trinity, the champions, at Oakwell. Saturday. Thrills were few, and the chief incidents were when Hamilton hit the Barnsley crossbar and the Gainsborough bar. Both sides lacked finish, and allowed good opportunities astray. Richards and Hodgkinson defended well for Barnsley, and Smith was prominent centre-half. Storer got in some good centres, and Dowdall revealed clever footwork, whilst Mears was very energetic. Haigh, the West Melton youth, gave another impressive display. Gainsborough were well served in defence by Sewell, Penn, and Hampson, while Hamilton and Shaw were the pick of the vanguard.

In thrilling game at Staveley, Rotherham United Reserves were beaten after the score had been one each the interval. The scorers were Jarrett, Stevenson, Meads, and Smith for Staveley, and Coleman (2) and Dennis for Rotherham. Both goalkeepers, Edwards and Atter, made fine saves.

Chesterfield Reserves, with Grimsby Town Reserves as visitors, had to accept 2—2 draw. Cowan and Roseboom scoring for the home team and Glover finding the net twice for the visitors. Chesterfield, whose last victory was against Staveley Town on Christmas Day, hoped to stem the ebbing tide by strengthening the attack the inclusion of and Castle, but there was lack of incisiveness about much of the work of the home team. Poskett, the visitors’ ‘keeper, however, made many brilliant saves.

Roth Denaby Backs Hurt

After winning six matches in succession the best Denaby could Saturday was draw —two goals each—with Scunthorpe United at home. In the first half Denaby. with the wind at their backs, went two ahead through their wing men, Turner and Jenkins, Four minutes after the interval Scunthorpe had made up their arrears, through Wadsworth and Maw. Denaby for a lengthy period were without their rightback, Cartwright, whoso leg was badly injured. Scunthorpe should have scored the odd goal, for both Denaby backs were injured.

Boston, at home, beat Doncaster Rovers 3—0 after leading 1—0 at the interval. Bussingham (own goal). Craven (C.), and Hoyland scored, the first two goals coming from Earle’s centres. George Craven was kicked the face in the second half and had to retire for the rest of the game.

With their two new forwards, Hales and Nicholson, from the North-East, outside wingers, and Heathcock in centre, Nottingham Forest Reserves were a pretty warm combination, as Wombwell found at Nottingham on Saturday, and won 5—1. The home men were generally going too fast for the visitors, and they crowned good field work with some deadly shooting. Heathcock (2), Foster, Hall and Nicholson scored for the Forest, and J, W. Staniland for Womb well.

Change for Mexboro’ and Worksop.

Mexborough Athletic, at home, gained their first victory of new year at the expense of  Loughborough Corinthians, who put up far better fight than the final figures of against them suggest. The first half was evenly disputed and goalless. After the interval Vollans, Higginbottom (H.) (2), and Tilbrook added goals. Mexborough owed a lot two Ward, their resourceful goalkeeper and Beaumont and Higginbottom (E.), capable hacks. Loughborough had a good team, but their forwards lacked finishing punch. Loversidge, their right back, was strong all through.

For the first time this season Workop Town seemed to capture that team spirit, which so essential, for the match against York City, and they won 4—2. Worksop’s win—it was their first point since December 15th —was a surprise because York had played seven games in succession without defeat, but it was largely due to an all-round improvement. Dwane’s return as leader of the attack, with Bryan, from Mansfield Town, centre-half, made  difference and Worksop had the strange experience of leading the interval. The scorers were: Dwane (2), Moore (F.), and Foster for Worksop, and Merritt and Ranby for York.

In one of the most exciting games at Newark this season. Newark beat County Reserves 3—2. Newark took the lead Hoddinott, but James equalised. Stevenson again put Newark ahead before the interval. In the second half Notts were the better side and Holdsworth put his side level. After great struggle for the lead, C. Evans gave it to Newark

Clayson’s Third Four Goals.

Scarborough gained a very convincing victory over Grantham, at Scarborough, the ground rendered very heavy following frost and snow. Considering the state ground the game was fought very fast pace. Grantham paid the penalty attempting too close passing, whereas Scarborough in the second half swung the ball about very effectively. Clayson (4), Gibbs, and Jenkinson scored for the winners, five of the goals coming after the interval. Clayson, well served by his inside forwards, played a sparkling game. This is the third occasion this season he has scored four goals in match