Midland League Results – January 25, 1932

25 January 1932

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 25 January 1932

Midland League Leaders Show Their Powers.

Distinction for Grimsby Reserves and Nine Goals For Doncaster Reserves.

Bradford Res. and Grimsby Town Res., the leading clubs in the Midland League, showed their powers on Saturday, when they were the only two visiting clubs to win. The former got five goals and Grimsby four, the latter inflicting on Scarborough their first home defeat of the season. As matter of fact away clubs did remarkably well, for five others drew, and there were only four home victories eleven games.

Denaby United were fortunate to pick up a point at Mansfield. Moss (Denaby) scored in the first half, and Small in the second. Mansfield tried two young players in Keeling the extreme right, and Parker at inside-left. The first-named showed promise and is worthy of a further trial. Brannan kept goal very well for the visitors.

Wombwell and Lincoln City Reserves drew 1—1 in a curiously patchy game at Wombwell. In the first half. Lincoln City Reserves made Wombwell’s play look like a slow-motion picture, but in the last 20 minutes Wombwell revived and almost ran Lincoln to a standstill. Waring scored for the home team and Foulkes equalised. Shepherd and Hopkinson stood out for Wombwell, and Anderson excelled for Lincoln.

Bradford Res. gave a polished display against Grantham, and easily annexed the points, the Lincolnshire men being utterly disconcerted with clock-like movements of the opposing forwards. The visitors led 3—1 at the interval, and won 5 —1. McMillan. Pacey (three), and scored for the visitors, and Burgin for Grantham. Forrester failed to convert a penalty for the home team.

At Scarborough, Grimsby playing robust and forceful football were the dominating force during the first half, in which they secured a lead of three goals. Scarborough fought back with spirit in the second half, and with two clever goals from Wallbanks, seemed likely to save point, but a sudden break away and Grimsby added fourth. Dodsworth and Moralee each scored twice. Grimsby had a very effective half-back line and a pair of sound backs. Scarborough were best served by Williams, centre half-back, and Wallbanks, centre-forward. Burns, young outside-right on trial, showed distinct promise.

Interest in Frickley’s “Stars.”

Playing fast and clever football, Frickley Colliery obtained their third victory within eight days by beating Rotherham Reserves 3—0 at South Elmsall. Forcing the pace from the start, the Colliery always held the upper hand, and Mundy scored in the first half, Oakes and Newman netting in the second. Frickley gave a trial to a new left back, Wilson, who played brilliantly. Newman gave a sparkling display at outside-right, and Rotherham were best served the veteran Smailes at centre halfback. Representatives of Swansea and Liverpool were present. It was said they were interested in Frickley’s two “star” players, Harvey (goalkeeper) and Oakes (inside-left).

Gainsborough Trinity and Bradford City Reserves had a great struggle at Gainsborough, and a goal each was a fair reflex of the play. Medley scored for the City and Douglas equalised before the interval. The second half produced a ding-dong struggle, but no goals.

Doncaster Rovers Reserves maintained their recent improvement and trounced Boston to the tune of 9—1, a score which by means exaggerated their superiority. The simple explanation is that the Doncaster youngsters outclassed the visitors for speed and accuracy. At times there was machine-like precision about their movements. The Rovers were some time getting into their stride, and held only a 2—0 lead the interval, but piled on seven goals against their weary and harassed opponents in the second. The scorers were Atherton (five, including one penalty goal), Rorrison, Foster, Critchley, and Parker. Mikham scored for Boston.

Scunthorpe United registered their third successive win when they beat Chesterfield Reserves 3—1 at Scunthorpe. The home team had the better of the game the first half, during which Reed and Hubbard scored for them. Shortly after resuming, Hubbard scored a third for the United, and later Cousins scored for Chesterfield, who were the better team in the second portion. Chesterfield were well served their halfbacks, but their forwards, though clover in midfield, finished weakly.

Barnsley Lucky to Draw.

In their home game with Loughborough Corinthians, Barnsley Reserves gave only a moderate display and were somewhat fortunate to share the honours. Their first goal resulted when Jones, the Loughborough goalkeeper, kicked the ball against Shears, from whom it rebounded into the net, and the equaliser came in the last minute, Kerry turning to good account a centre from Murfin. Down ham and Sullivan scored for Loughborough. Sullivan (Loughborough) was an enterprising leader and was well supported Glidden, who often showed smart footwork. Smith was very resourceful m the visitors defence, and Chambers and Howarth repeatedly checked Barnsley s forwards, who were not well together. Capstick, the Barnsley goalkeeper, handled surely, and Holmes, Whiteley, Kerry, and Young were seen to advantage.

Newark Town saved point at Hull mainly through the brilliance of Streets, in goal, and the oppertunism of Harris, who scored goal in each half, as did Hull. York was also a stout defender for the visitors, while Bennett excelled at centre half-back. Hull’s scorers were Shaw and College.