Midland League Results – January 28th

28 January 1929

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 28 January 1929

Midland League.

Lincoln City Increase Their Lead.
Five Goals By Sullivan.

Lincoln Citv Reserves increased their lead in the Midland League by beating Denaby United 2 —1 on the Denaby ground on Saturday. After pressing continuously and scoring through Savage and Fisher, the Reserves crossed over with the game apparently well in hand, for Denaby had been disjointed; but on the resumption the home side gave Lincoln rare fright, for after Jenkins had opened Denaby s account, the visitors were fighting to save a point, and were lucky to get away with it. In the closing stages Denaby appealed strongly for a goal when Kendall got the ball away after some desperate Denaby efforts on the goal line. Shenton played splendid game at right back for the homo team, and of the forwards Jenkins was a good opportunist. For Lincoln Kendall shaped well in goal, while .Savage and Fisher were the schemers of the forward line. There were 2,000 spectators.

Barnsley Reserves flattered to deceive at York, for they opened quite well and held their own to the interval, when each side had scored once but afterwards they fell away badly, and were well beaten by five goals to two. Randy (three), and Cowio (two), scored for York, and Mears (two) for Barnsley, the last-named’s first point being obtained from a penalty kick.

Grimsby Town Reserves gave their best display so far this season at home when beating Gainsborough Trinity by three goals to one. Gainsborough did not rise to their proper form until shortly before the interval prior to which Grimsby had obtained lead two goals. The first was front a shot from fully 20 yards out by Priestley, and the other was turned into the net by Kelly, the Gainsborough left back. After Munnings had netted the third goal, shortly after the resumption, Gainsborough settled down a persistent attack, and only the smart performance of Poskett in the home goal enabled Grimsby maintain their lead. Hamilton scored for Gainsborough.

Grantham’s New Star.

Grantham, who were beaten 6-0 at Scarborough the previous week, made atonement Saturday when Mexborough paid them visit, vanquishing the Yorkshiremen by exactly the same margin. Sheldon, a newcomer, took the place of Quinn, and he it was who, though not actually being amongst the scorers, set the seal upon handsome victory brilliant display of individual footwork and accurate placing. Sullivan had a great day, adding five to his already big total of goals—three from perfect centres bv Sheldon —and was responsible for the other goal. Mexborough were completely outplayed, and Ward, in goal, prevented much heavier reverse.

Frickley were a trifle lucky to beat Staveley by I—0 at South Elmsall on Saturday, for the Town had a good share of the play. Handicapped by the absence of Pagden, their outside-right, who was injured shortly before the interval, Frickley were hard pressed in the second half, but the defence gave a masterly display, Bromage, the goalkeeper, and Price, right beck, being outstanding. Frickley’s goal, scored 20 minutes from the end, was the outcome of smart piece of work by Turnbull, their clever outside-left, who, after tricking two opponents, centred the ball for Williams to touch it into the net. For Staveley, Pearce was the pick of the forwards, and Edwards was brilliant in goal.

A well-contested game was seen at Loughborough, where Scarborough deserved their 2 —l victory. Their forwards played splendid football. Gibbs and Greatorex being outstanding. Collins played a great game in goal, and had it not been for his saves in the closing stages, Loughborough would have equalised. The Scarborough defence was very sound. Gibbs and Clayson scored for Scarborough and Scott for Loughborough.

Remarkable Scene at Scunthorpe.

Wombwell were satisfied with the result their match at Scunthorpe. They were leading by the odd goal in three until the last minute, and then Scunthorpe equalised.

Shortly before this Scunthorpe bombarded the Wombwell goal, and when Referee Taylor (Gainsborough) blew his whistle, Wombwell apparently thought it was because their goalkeeper, who was on the floor, was being impeded. Instead of a free-kick, however, the referee bounced the ball a few yards oat of goal, and the scene which followed appeared to be a Rugby scrum, in which 19 players took part. At last Wadsworth netted and equalised, and the game was over. Pardon scored both Wombwell’s goals, and Scunthorpe’s first goal was scored by Webb. Stevenson kept goal brilliantly for Wombwell, his many fine saves including a penalty-kick taken by Wadsworth.

Wath Athletic had to play hard to beat Boston 3—2 in a game of fluctuating fortunes. In the first half Wath maintained constant pressure, but only F. Moore scored. In the second half, S. Jenkinson equalised, and Harding gave Boston the lead. Wath played back strongly, and Dawber and F. Moore scored for the home side in the last ten minutes. Skeels was always dangerous in Wath’s attack, and Murdin, a hard-working leader. Boston were best served by S. Jenkinson, who shot well.

After a remarkable game at Worksop—one in which first one side and then another was on top —Worksop and Shirebrook shared the points, scoring four goals each. Binns celebrated his return to the Derbyshire club netting first, but Dwane equalised, and Downes put Worksop in front before the interval. Afterwards, Fred Moore placed Worksop further ahead, but Shirebrook rallied in a remarkable manner, and goals were recorded Mercer, Binns and Parkes. However, Cooling scored the first Midland League goal of his career to save point for Worksop.