Midland League Results – January 2nd, 1930

2 January 1930

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Thursday 02 January 1930

Midland League.

Mexborough Turn Over a New Leaf.

Big Scoring Feats.

The Midland League shared with the League in a riot of scoring yesterday, Bradford Reserves and Gainsborough Trinity recording seven goals each, and Scunthorpe United five in a total of 46 for the ten games. The individual scoring was led by Scott, ot Bradford, with five goals to his credit Shirebrook, whilst Wroe did the “hat trick” for Mexborough Athletic against Wath Athletic.

After earning only one point of a possible 12 in their six latest games, Mexborough Athletic, at home, turned over a new leaf and defeated Wath Athletic by 3—0. About 1,500 spectators were entertained by well-contested game in which Wath were handicapped through losing Angus, their centre half after 25 minutes’ play. Angus was taken to the hospital for treatment of bad cut over the eye. Wroe, the Mexborough centre-forward, took advantage of this weakening,, and by scoring once in the first half and twice in the concluding half helped himself to a “hat trick.” Wath played pluckily against odds, in their attack F. Moore had hard luck with his shooting. Vollans was again prominent in a Mexborough team which moved smoothly all through.

There was a holiday feeling about the players in a rather uninteresting match at Denaby, where Denaby United beat Rotherham United Reserves 3—1. The home team made their toll of points from four games since Christmas Day into seven. Green (L.) scored twice for Denaby in the first half and made this into a virtual hat trick in the second when put the rebound from the shot through his own goal. Towards the end Banks headed Rotherham’s only goal. Shenton and Woodhead were strong in Denaby’s defence and W. C. Smith impressed favourably on his debut centre half. Smailes and G. H. Dyke did good work for Rotherham.

Brilliant Scunthorpe Leader.

Poor finish robbed Frickley of at least a point in their home match with Scunthorpe United yesterday and, seizing their chances, the visitors won 5—1. In the first half Scunthorpe had their opponents well beaten and Calladine (2) and Cooke scored. Later Frickley kept the visitors in their own half, but the forwards were erratic in their shooting, and Carlton and Gregson missed open goals. On the two occasions that Scunthorpe were dangerous they scored. Baldwin, who was a brilliant leader, was responsible for both goals. Brewin gave a sparkling display at outside right for Frickley, and reduced the arrears after smart individual effort.

Not until well on in the second half did the Wombwell v. Chesterfield Reserves’ game rise above the commonplace. Then Wombwell found a wonderful burst of form. They scored their goal in the second half from a penalty kick Hopkinson after a foul on Raynor, who was making a great dash for goal. Fine work by the backs, Hopkinson and Wheatley, and clever ’keeping by Best kept Chesterfield out in the first half. Wombwell stood the strain of a heavy game much better than their opponents.

In a lively game between Lincoln City Reserves and Worksop Town, Lincoln won 2—1 at the Sincil Bank yesterday. Play throughout was fast, but the shooting was faulty on both sides. Lincoln had a little better of the argument in the first half but were only able score once, Robinson after 30 minutes wending his way through and netting. With the wind helping them, Lincoln were still more aggressive in the second half, but Dean twice netted for Worksop, though on the first occasion he was judged to be offside. Jenkins got Lincoln’s winner.

High Scoring Games.

Shirebrook were beaten 7—2 by Bradford Reserves yesterday, and the score in no way flattered the visitors, Harwood leading a fine attack in which Scott was the master mind. Reid was the pick of a stout defence. Shirebrook were weak in attack and failed to finish Keighley being head and shoulders above his colleagues. The defence did well against overwhelming odds. Whittaker being good in goal. Scott (5), and Harwood (2). scored for Bradford and Keightley (2) for Shirebrook-

Gainsborough Trinity beat Staveley 7—4 at Staveley, yesterday, in a by no means onesided game. Staveley fielded Crich in place of Lack at right back —a costly experiment for all the Gainsborough goals came through the left wing. At the interval Staveley led 3 —2. The scorers for Gainsborough were Tilbrook (2), Wilburn (2), Mills (2), and Smith. Nutter, Smith. Perry, and Hughes, scored for Staveley.

Mansfield Town entertained Hull City Reserves on the Field Mill ground yesterday and lost 4 —3. The visitors were the better side, although the champions had several .opportunities of drawing level towards the close but their forward line was disjointed. The goal scorers for the winners were Marsh (2). Turner and McDonald, and for Mansfield. Kay (2, both from penalties) and Gibson.

Leaders Well Held.

The leaders of the Midland League, Scarborough, were well held in a goalless draw by Grimsby Town Reserves at Blundell Park. The ground was in shocking slate, but Scarborough gave many glimpses of their speed and cleverness. Towards the close Grimsby gave the visitors several frights.

Boston cut a poor figure at Doncaster, and for the greater part of the game the Rovers Reserves toyed with them, to win eventually by 2—0. The few spasmodic attacks made by Boston were easily held by Bussingham and Milne, Roe having few shots to stop. Harvey was forceful in Doncaster’s attack, and Robinson was a stylish halfback. Waite was Boston’s best forward, and Flynn excelled in defence. Harvey and Alcock were Doncaster’s scorers.