Midland League Results – January 30th, 1922

30 January 1922

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, Monday, 30 January 1922

Midland League.

Low Fell Player Pleases in Trial for Wednesday.

 Some Big Scoring Matches.

Denaby in Form.

Denaby, at home, gained another decisive victory- 3 – 0 at the expense of Mansfield. The first half was fairly even, and Denaby, with the sun in their faces, were often hard pressed. Just on the interval they took the lead through Hamilton, who throughout played one of the best games of his career, scoring a second goal shortly after the resumption after running half the length of the field.

In the second half Mansfield played doggedly, giving nothing away and often being dangerous through Foster and Brookes. They were kept out, however, as a result of some excellent defensive play, in which Ekins, the goalkeeper, and Kennedy were prominent. A few minutes before the close Baylis, the Mansfield full-back, conceded a penalty. Burkinshaw took the shot and Groves saved it, but was badly injured in doing so, and had to retire, his place being taken by Jones. From a corner just on time Burkinshaw scored a third goal for Denaby. Though the ground was exceedingly heavy, the football was of a high standard, and both sets of forwards indulged in some excellent shooting.

Worksop Town defeated Wombwell, whom they entertained, but the score was only one goal, and a penalty at that. However, the winners were the superior side, and thoroughly deserved their victory. The penalty was awarded against Howson, the visitors’ big back, for “hands,” and Richardson defeated Johnson with a fierce, low drive. Johnson played a magnificent game in goal, and Howson and Drew defended well. The home defence and half-backs were on their best behaviour, and Lilley was the most conspicuous forward on view. Parton, at outside-right, was the visitors’ most dangerous attacker.

Wath Masters in Fast Game.

An exceedingly fast game was witnessed at Wath, where the Athletic ran out worthy winners by 2-1. For at least twenty minutes the Harrogate defence never had a minute’s rest, and only luck prevented their goal from falling. Though the visitors were the first to score, through Gedney, Wath netted twice after the interval, Carter and Prior finding the net. A feature of the game was the splendid goalkeeping of both Gale and Topham. Under better conditions the Athletic would no doubt have added three or four goals to their score, but as it was they had to be satisfied with the two already scored. Holt at outside-right and Wragg at back were the pick of the home side, while Watmough and Slater were two dangerous wing men for Harrogate.

Mexborough drew 0-0 with Hull City Reserve at Anlaby Road, Hull. Hull fielded a very strong team, including Stansfield, their latest acquisition from Castleford Town. The home players did most of the attacking in the first half, Stansfield and Kitchen being very prominent, whilst Briggs, the Hull goalkeeper, easily dealt with occasional tame shots from Walker and Reed. Mexborough did much better after the interval, but no goals came. There were several hot bombardments by both teams.

All those who witnessed Wednesday Reserves’ encounter with Boston Town, at Hillsborough, on Saturday, were of opinion that this season’s entrants to the Midland League were outclassed. Although Wednesday won 4-1, they should have done even better had their shooting been more accurate. The visitors opened well, but their progress was soon retarded, and in the first half, with the exception of an occasional breakaway, they rarely got beyond the half-way line.

Wednesday broke the ice with a brilliant goal from Binney and if it had not been for the excellent display of the Boston backs— Dunne and Irvine—coupled with Blakey’s efforts in goal, they would have been well ahead at the interval. As was only natural, the cynosure of all eyes was Mole, the new centre forward from Low Fell, near Gateshead, who, in the first half, played well, but did not appear to receive the support he should. It was in the second half that Mole showed his ability, and both his goals were from very fine and powerful shots. He took no half measures, and Blakey was powerless to avert disaster. The second half was entirely in Wednesday’s favour. Binney, Mole (2). and Brown were the scorers for Wednesday, whilst Boston’s goal came from Barrel.

Barnsley Reserves really played class football at Lincoln. They were exceptionally quick on tile ball, their forwards were fleet and tricky, and the general combination was good. They were much too smart for the Lincoln second string. Altogether the visitors netted seven times, but three were disallowed for alleged offside infringement. Hammerton was a splendid leader, and, although he sent the ball home four times, only one of his goals was adjudged legitimate. Duke got two goals, and Armstrong scored one from a penalty-kick. Lincoln’s only goal was gained by Hall with an express drive. Lincoln had hard luck in losing the services of Barnett, their left back, who wrenched his knee soon after the interval. Five minutes from the end Moon, their left half-back, sustained injury to the ribs, the City finishing with nine men.

 Rotherham Town’s Best “Gate.”

Probably the best “gate” of the season—fully 4,000 spectators—witnessed the match at Clifton Lane, Rotherham, between Rotherham Town and Grimy Town Reserves, the home club following up their brilliant win over Notts Forest by a  4 – 3 victory. It was a splendid game, and the home side just deserved to win. For Rotherham the defence was good, with Roberts, Taylor, and Cutts always in the thick of the fray, whilst forward Hurst and Godfrey made up a clever right wing, it being mainly through their efforts that the visitors’ defence had such a trying ordeal. The visitors’ forwards though, particularly in the second half, played really good football. Collier and Talks were especially prominent. The goal-scorers were Hurst, Oldfield, Lumb, and Godfrey for Rotherham, and F. Smith, Coupland, and Talks for Grimsby.

By their clever win over the Reserves of Notts Forest, Scunthorpe United secured their ninth successive League victory. After a somewhat shaky beginning, accounted for by the fact that they had great difficulty in holding their feet, they not only held the smart Nottingham forward line, but worried the Forest defenders to such an extent that the latter were tempted at times to adopt rather too robust methods in their almost hopeless efforts to stop them. Six goals were scored in the first half, but they were all obtained in 25 minutes, for the first 2O minutes were blank. At the end of that time Langden headed through for the Forest, and after another ten Minutes Scunthorpe equalised, Lloyd then practically dribbling the ball through. Bancroft regained the lead for the Forest, and within three minutes Whitham put Scunthorpe on level terms again. Five minutes before the interval, Maycock gave them the lead for the first time. In the last minute Lloyd was fouled in the penalty area, and Ackroyd converted the spot kick. After 15 minutes of the second half, Thom, who had wandered over to the left, got through for the Forest, but ten minutes later Whitham made Scunthorpe’s total into five with a brilliant shot, after clever play by Lloyd. With the exception of the Forest’s third goal, when Wogin misjudged the ball from Thom, the Scunthorpe goalkeeper gave a faultless display. Ackroyd was the best back on the field, and the half-back play of Crookes, Duke, and Broadhead was a feature of the match. Lloyd, Whitham, and Meredith were the pick of five good forwards. Bennett gave a good display in goal for the  visitors, but the hacks and half-backs were weak.

The attendance at the Castleford Town and Doncaster Rovers’ match was spoiled by an N.U. counter-attraction, but nevertheless a good exhibition was witnessed by a fair crowd. Castleford fully deserved their 5-1 win. The opening goal was scored by Roe, after 25 minutes’ play, but Naylor equalised after the interval with a fine shot. This made matters very lively, and when Thorpe and Wrigglesworth had a misunderstanding Reilly nipped in and beat Hendry, whilst Roe finished the scoring with a clever header. Boardman spoiled many Doncaster movements by getting offside, and Booth kept so keen a look-out for him that he got few chances of scoring.