Midland League Results – January 5th 1931

5 January 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 05 January 1931

Midland League.

Trinity’s Big Win Over Strong Opponents.

With three matches postponed, owing to fog and frost, only seven of the ten Midland League games were played on Saturday. In these, Gainsborough gained an outstanding win over Bradford City Res., while Barnsley Res. lost valuable home point to Mansfield Town.

Mansfield had more of the play against Barnsley Res. at Oakwell, and should have captured both points. An offence by Poyser on Stanyon in the closing minutes resulted in a penalty from which Ridyard equalised. For Mansfield Hill (two) and Murphy scored, while Barnsley’s other goals came from Murfin and Kerry. Owing to the hard ground, the players went about their work very carefully, and on the Barnsley side only Todd, left-half-back, was really successful. For Mansfield, good work was done Hill (centre-forward) and Chambers (centre-half).

Adopting excellent methods, Gainsborough Trinity, at home, easily overcame Bradford City Reserves 6-1. The scorers for Trinity were Robinson (four) and Morallee (two), replying for Bradford. Trinity had an interval lead of 3-1, which might easily have been doubled, for the visitors’ goal had many escapes. Hancock was the pick of Trinity’s enterprising forwards. The match was one of the most exciting seen on the Northholme this season. Gainsborough were without Kell for the first time this season. Fell dropping back to rightback and Lawrence coming in at centre-halfback.

Boston’s Penalty Miss.

Newark Town defeated Chesterfield Res. 2 – 1 after one of the poorest games seen at Newark this season. The first half was scrappy throughout, only real incident being Hoddinott’s goal after 19 minutes. Play improved somewhat after the interval, but the treacherous ground made accurate play impossible. Best made a clever save from Baldwin, and then Speed scored Newark’s second goal. Walker reduced arrears ten minutes from the end.

After missing a penalty against Shirebrook, Boston, at home, rallied splendidly and eventually drew 2—2. Earld gave Boston the lead after ten minutes, but Smith (J.) equalised soon afterwards, and then Staniforth gave Shirebrook the lead. The penalty came just before half-time, when Earle put in a shot which Shipman, the right back, turned over the bar, with the goalkeeper beaten. Earle failed with the kick, the goalkeeper saving, but Boston played much better in the second half and Robinson equalised,

Rhodes scored the only goal of the game between Nottingham Forest Reserves and Bradford Reserves at Park Avenue. The ground was hard and slippery, and ball control difficult, and, as the players did not take any risks, the game was of scrappy character, both sides missing chances. After a goalless first half, the visitor’s defence, which up to then had been very sound ; with Ashton outstanding in goal, was caught in two minds, and the home centre-forward seized the opportunity to score.

Lincoln Turn Tables.

Lincoln City Reserves, at Sincil Bank, beat Mexborough by 4—0, and thus avenged their defeat at Mexborough. Two goals were scored by Whalley in the first half, and two by March in the second half. The visiting forwards were seldom in the picture -up to the interval, but improved considerably in the second period and had quite as much of the attack as Lincoln. Worthy and Ward were exceptionally smart backs for the City, however, and Meeson was seldom brought into action.

On a very heavy ground at Meadow Lone, Notts County Reserves were too smart for Grantham and won 5—2. Grantham did not play at all well in the mud, and were not too safe in defence. Hall and Nelson (two) scored for the home team in the first half, and Walker for Grantham. Barratt, Grantham, shot over from a penalty in the second half. Nelson and Dodd scored in the second half, former thus completing his “hat-trick,” while Perry replied for Grantham.

The three postponed games were those between Wombwell and Scarborough at Wombwell; Frickley Colliery and Grimsby Town Reserves at Frickley, and Denaby United v. Scunthorpe United, at Denaby.