Midland League Results – January 6th, 1930

6 January 1930

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 06 January 1930

Midland League.

Lincoln Reserves Run Riot at Rotherham.

Referee “Barracked.”

Lincolnshire clubs engaged in high scoring in Saturday’s Midland League games—Lincoln City Reserves leading the way with nine goals at Rotherham, Grimsby netting seven against Barnsley Reserves, Scunthorpe United and Grantham equalled the performances of Mexborough and Chesterfield with four goals each.

Lincoln’s first three goals at Rotherham were criticised by the crowd, and the referee, unfortunately, was subject to considerable booing. In the second half Lincoln did practically all the attacking and their forwards showed remarkable marksmanship, snapping up every chance. Smailes, who has not been playing lately owing to pulled muscle included in the Rotherham team but just before the interval he strained it again and was off the field for the whole of the second half. Kitching (2). Robinson (3), Jenkins (2). Sykes, and Fisher scored for Lincoln, and Clayton and Little for Rotherham.

 Grimsby Town Reserves, at home, beat Barnsley Reserves 7—2 but the match was not one-sided as the sum would suggest. Both the Barnsley wingmen made fine openings, but the forwards did not make the most of the chances, as did the Grimsby men, Breedon, the Barnsley custodian, despite the score, attracted considerable attention for his smart work. The goal scorers were Munnings, Haigh (3), Glover and Cooper for Grimsby and Harron and Batty for Barnsley.

Doncastrian Carried Off.

After their lapse against Bradford Reserves on New Year’s Day, Mansfield Town came back to winning form against Doncaster Rovers Reserve, although they were still without McLachlan, Roseboom, and Collins. At the interval they led 2—1, and in the end triumphed by 5—2. The goal scorers for the winner were Wannacott (2). Whylde, Gray, and Kay, who scored his third penalty in a week. For the losers and Barber were the goalgetters. The Rovers played very poor football and might have been beaten more heavily but for Roe and Whitelaw, who was carried off injured few minutes before the close.

Mexborough Athletic beat Hull City Reserves in a very good game at Mexborough. Mexborough’s second half form was surprisingly effective, and their victory, following their win over Wath, suggests revival of distinct promise. About 1,500 spectators saw Wroe give Mexborough the lead, McDonald equalise, and Fleet wood put the home team in a 2—1 position at half-time. Resuming, Fleetwood increased Mexborough’s lead, and, later, in a sensational burst, Murrydav and Hill scored for Hull. Wroe came along with the winning goal for Mexborough.

Shirebrook were full value for their 3 —l victory over Staveley on Saturday.They dominated the play in the first half, and led 3—0 at the interval. In the second half the exchanges slowed down and were of a more even character, the visitors reducing the lead fifteen minutes from the end. Barratt and Greatorex the reserves fully justified their inclusion in the home attack. Keightley was outstanding in the forward line, Bedford was the pick of the halves, and Evans and Worrall defended strongly. Whittaker had an easy time in goal. The Staveley forwards were weak, but Lack and Wintcrbottom excellent in defence. Keightley (2) and Greatorex scored for Shirebrook, and Perry for Staveley.

A Twice-Saved Penalty.

Scunthorpe United continued their winning way beating the lowly placed Wombwell 4—1, but at no part of the game did the winners attain their recent high standard play. The half-backs. Skull, Cake, and Bailey, however, were very good. Wombwell were well served by Beet (goal), the backs, and the wing halves. Simmons, Baldwin, and Beynon were Scunthorpe’s scorers, and Sorby put through his own goal. Raynor is credited with Wombweli’s goal, but Bromage actually beat himself. Boynon had two kicks with one penalty. Best saving both. The attendance was only 2,015.

Chesterfield Reserves, who visited Wath, won 4 —1, largely because they played open football suitable to the conditions. Territorially, Wath had rather more the play, but they were never very dangerous, and Pearce, the visiting goalkeeper, had little to do. In the second half Sanderson, the home centre-half, was injured in tackling an opponent, and subsequently had to leave the field, for the third successive match Wath finished the game with only ten players. The scorers were Parkin (3) and Jobe for Chesterfield, and Hargreaves for Wath.

Frickley played moderately at Gainsborough on Saturday and lost 2—0. Mills, the home right winger, was going through in the first minute or so when he was accidentally kicked in the face and took no further part in the game. Although Trinity played up and Fell scored two fine goals, they became disjointed afterwards and their attacks were easily frustrated the Frickley backs. The visitors’ forwards were fast and tricky, but could not break through Trinity’s defence. Fell and Vasey being prominent in this department.

Newark Test the Leaders.

Newark and Scarborough, who drew 2 —2, provided the best game of the season at Newark. The home side had slightly the better of an excellent first half, Brewis scoring twice. Scarborough fought back on resuming and, after a narrow escape at the visitors’ end, during scrimmage. Hill got away to reduce the load, after 72 minutes. Clayson immediately put his side on level terms. A draw was a fitting result to a fast and exciting game

A feature of the game between Worksop Town and Loughborough Corinthians, drawn 3—3, was the play of the visitors’ outside-left, Murden, who is brother the Rotherham United centre-forward. It was his play that prompted two of the Corinthians’ goals. Despite the heavy ground, it was splendid game and the crowd was delighted. In the first half Parden scored twice for Worksop, but a remarkable change came over the game after the interval, goals by and Riley placing the visitors on level terms. Parden again gave Worksop the lead, but, after injury to Newton, their right-back, who was off the field practically the whole of the second half, Woolhouse got a third for Loughborough. Three from the end J. Smith (Worksop) saved a penalty taken Riley.

Grantham supporters were treated to easily the best game of the season, when Notts County Reserves paid visit, the forward play on both sides being excellent. Quite the top of their form, Grantham fully deserved their 4—3 win, for they also failed with a penalty, and the visitors’ third goal came quite near the end- The scorers were Keeton (2), Evans, and Downham, for Grantham, and Fisher and Maw (2) for Notts.

Denaby United drew at Boston 1—1. Green scored for the visitors and Craven for Boston