Midland League Results – March 30th, 1931

30 March 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 30 March 1931

More Midland League Surprises.

Incidents in Oakwell Game: “Wooden Spoonists” Gain Sensational Win.

There were several surprising results, in Saturday’s Midland League games, Nottingham Forest Reserves suffering a heavy defeat at Barnsley, and Frickley, the “wooden spoonists” gaining a sensational win over Lincoln City Reserves at Lincoln.

Two remarkable incidents marked the game at Oakwell, which Barnsley won by 6—2. Harston, the home leader, besides scoring three goals, netted from penalty although he kicked the ground, the ball bouncing over the prostrate goalkeeper.

When the referee, Mr. A. Wroot (Doncaster), disallowed a goal Raynor on the ground of offside, Cameron, the visiting centre-half, protested strongly and was ordered off. At times the Forest revealed good methods, Raynor and Howie being active forwards, and Wallace doing good work in defence, but Harston was excellently supported by Chivers and Patterson, both of whom scored goals. Patterson’s was the result of a particularly smart individual effort.

Ridyard and Hayhirst were strong Barnsley defenders. Raynor and McKay, scored the visitors’ goals. Harston, who gave fine display, twice struck the woodwork.

Denaby United were fortunate to beat Newark Town at Denaby by 1—0. After having had a moderate first half Newark were all over the Denaby defence, in the second half, but Brannan played brilliantly and saved his side from a heavy defeat.

Brooks missed a couple of open goals for Newark, and W. Bennett, on trial from Mexborough, also missed a “sitter.” but made amends scoring the only goal ,in the last five minutes of the first half.

Charmed Wombwell Goal.

Shirebrook deserved, their 2 —1 victory over Wombwell, though it was only in the last minute that they scored the winning goal. Wombwell were on top in the first half, but fell away later, and their goal bore charmed existence in the last minutes.

Easom, the new centre-half from Ollerton, lacks experience, but shaped well. Kaye and water were the piok of the home forwards. Wilcocks shone at half-back, while L. Smith was the better hack. Briggs was noticeable on the visitors’ extreme left. Wood and Kaye scored for Shirebrook, and Briggs for Wombwell.

Ben Grice, who deputised for Hill at centre forward on the Field Mill ground for Mansfield Town against Mexborough, had a field day, for, prior the interval, he scored four’ times. The only other scorer was Trotman, who brought Mansfield’s total to five.

Lincoln City Reserves, despite the fact that they included three senior forwards, were beaten home by Frickley Colliery by 2—0. The City had most of the game and owed their failure solely to erratic shooting, while they also missed penalty. Whiteley secured both goals for Frickley, one from a penalty.

Chesterfield Reserves deserved a draw at Grantham, but were beaten 3—2. Although Grantham had all the better of the early exchanges, subsequent play favoured Chesterfield who, aided a powerful wind, times and again swept down on the home goal and might easily hafce scored half a dozen goals. Sullivan, Stephenson, and Pearce (penalty) scored for Grantham, and Birks (penalty) and Wailbanks, for Chesterfield.

Player Sent Off.

Had the Doncaster Rovers Reserves’, attack finished with more pep and resolution they would have defeated Scarborough comfortably at Belle Vue. As it was they were held to a goalless draw. Wadsworth missed a penalty, but otherwise his performance was much improved, and with Beresford as his partner, he made up live left wing. Smith (J.) played his usual resourceful game at back. Maskill and Hill were Scarborough’s best players.

Smailes, centre-half, was the mainstay of the Rotherham side, which was defeated 5—1 at Loughborough, but had too much do, for the rest of defence—except Taylor in goal—-was weak. The forwards played well, especially Evans, but, after Coleman had been sent off, the team became unbalanced. For Loughborough the scorers were Harris (two), Wilkes’ (two), and Murden, while Cooke scored for Rotherham.

The 2—1 success of Gainsborough Trinity against Hull City Reserves at Hull reversed the result of the previous meeting at Gainsborough. Hull City were outplayed by a more enterprising side, with Dodsworth a resourceful leader of the Trinity, and Mills, brother of the Hull City fast and tricky outside-right. Though Kell, because of an alleged handling incident, gave away an unproductive penalty, he and Harris were reliable backs, while Reynolds, in goal, gave masterly display. Speed scored for Hull and Dodsworth (two) for Gainsborough.

Notts County Reserves found their form against Scunthorpe at Meadow Lane, and won easily 6—2. They were generally keeping their visiting defenders busy and many good chances were missed, but when Scunthorpe did get within hail they were dangerous, and Rawlings, who scored both their goals, proved himself opportunist. The Notts goals were scored by Shooter (3), Nelson (2), and Maw, while Moore had a penalty shot saved almost soon as play started.

Boston were overplayed Valley Parade, and Bradford City should have won by more decisive margin than 4—1. Three of their goals came in ten minutes shortly before the interval, but several glorious opportunities were thrown away. Partridge and Keetley were the best for the winners, whilst Black ham was hard worker for Boston. Keetley and Hall scored for the City, and Mitcham for Boston,