Midland League Results – November 21st, 1921

21 November 1921

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 21 November 1921

Midland League.

After a hard ding-dong game Denaby, on their own ground, beat Scunthorpe by the odd goal in seven. The home side took the lead in the first minute through Brayshaw, and never lost it. At the interval they were three goals up, Burkinshaw and Ballance also having, scored, the latter’s goal being one of the finest seen on the ground this season.

Scunthorpe had almost as much of the play as Denaby in the first half, and in the second half they came prominently into the picture, and once or twice came near to equalising. Eight minutes after the restart Broadhead heeded a goal for the visitors; who, keeping up the pressure, soon had the lead further reduced through Reed. Denaby got a fourth goal through Ballance, and near the close Duke registered a third for Scunthorpe. It was an exciting game, though towards the close an unpleasant element of roughness crept into it, and there were one or two unfortunate incidents.

Spoors in Goal for Barnsley Reserves at Harrogate.

Harrogate played a splendid game at home on Saturday against Barnsley Reserves, and won 1-0. Throughout the first half Harrogate had the advantage, and kept up a strong attack on the Barnsley goal. In the first minute Smith shot into the goalkeeper’s hand; the latter being Spoors, vice Thorpe, who is on the sick list. Four minutes later, from a goal-kick, Gedney got possession and ran up the field, eventually giving to Fawcett. That player’ got away on his own, and beat Spoors at close quarters. A corner to Barnsley looked dangerous, Curran hitting the upright with a hot shot. Barnsley were more vigorous in the second half, but could not get through

Scoring a penalty goal, through Shelton, in the first five minutes of the game, Wednesday Reserves drew 1-1 with Mexborough, at Hillsborough. The home team really deserved to win, for in the last 15 minutes the Mexborough goalkeeper had a very busy time, and was all but beaten on three occasions, Hall twice, and Gair, flashing the ball just wide of the post. Gair is a new centre forward on trial, and, although he did very little of note in the first half, he was very enterprising in the later stages. Shortly after the interval Mexborough equalised, Ingham heading through from a corner kick. The game was contested at a very fast pace, and Shelton nearly added a second goal with a fine solo effort. The feature of the play was the, splendid work of Froggatt, in The Wednesday’ half-back line.

Notts Forest Reserves were beaten 2-1 by Rotherham County Reserves at Millmoor. It was an interesting contest, although devoid of thrills. The visitors at the start exerted some pressure, but County were rewarded with their first goal 15 minutes from the start. Kirk with Cameron’s assistance, finding the net at close range. The Notts men bestirred themselves, Dennis in particular being prominent. Their equaliser was, however due to Harrold. The side at times were dangerous, and Sutcliffe had several hard drives to clear. It was County’s pushfulness rather than brilliancy which weighed, and Lloyd, who made several good efforts, gained the second—and ‘winning—goal. There was no scoring after the interval.

Grimsby Again Leaders.

The return match between Grimsby Town Res. and Castleford Town, at Grimsby, resulted in a 4-2 win for the home team. Castleford took advantage of a slight breeze, but Grimsby pressed from the start, and took the lead after five minutes’ play, Moulds scoring with a first-time shot from a pass from Baby. Castleford retaliated, but their forwards lacked finishing power. Robinson, the Grimsby right winger, after a fine solo run, put in a good shot which struck the crossbar, and Talks netted from the rebound. Castleford pressed, and Roe scored from a free-kick. With the last kick of the first half Smith (F.) put Grimsby further ahead with a low drive after some good combined play on the left. In the second half Huggard scored for Castleford and Talks for Grimsby, the latter resuming the leadership of the League on goal average.

Hull City Res. found the Lincoln City second string in tip-top form on the Sincil Bank, and they had to submit to a 4-1 defeat. The Lincoln team showed considerable improvement on recent performances, this being especially noticeable in the forward line. At centre-forward Stimpson gave a fine display, and he achieved the “hat-trick,” one of his goals being gained from a penalty. Lincoln’s other goal was notched by Lemons. Blenkinsop secured the visitors’ goal.

The outstanding feature of the Rotherham Town—Doncaster Rovers’ match (drawn 0-0), on Saturday, was the wonderfully clever display in goal by Hendry for the Rovers. He, together with Wigglesworth, at right full-back, was mainly responsible in securing a share of the spoils for his team. Rotherham as a team -were much the superior side. There were four thousand spectators, the Rovers having a good following.

Wakefield City maintained their improved form in their re-arranged home fixture with Boston, and, although there was no score in the first half, Wakefield were repeatedly dangerous. Heaton, early in the second half, gave his side the victory by turning a penalty to good account. Boston tried hard to obtain an equaliser, but the home defence proved sound.