Midland League Results – November 23rd, 1931

23 November 1931

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 23 November 1931

No Change At Head Of Midland League.

 Leading Clubs Win Away: Rotherham’s Goalkeeper in Grand Trim.

Saturday’s Midland League games brought little change at the head of the table, for, though playing away, the three leaders, Bradford Res., Scarborough, and Grimsby Town Res., all gained decisive wins.

Wombwell put up a valiant fight against Bradford Reserves at Wombwell, and were unlucky to be beaten 2 —0. Weak finishing told its tale, and among the lost opportunities was the failure of Murden to convert a penalty.

Wombwell held their own in the first half, but after the interval Bradford went ahead through McMillan and Harwood. The first goal was disputed the ground, that the ball had not been in the net. Wombwell were well served a fast and cleverly contested game by Briggs, Auckland, Crossland, and Davies. Coates and Morton were prominent for Bradford.

Denaby United, at home, were overwhelmed by Grimsby Town Reserves and beaten 5—l. Grimsby scored in the first half through Holmes, Ponting, and Chalmers. After the interval Gilchrist reduced the arrears, but Holmes and Hall added further goals for the visitors. Moss was Denaby’s best forward, once hitting a post with Tweedy well beaten. Brannan gave a good display, while North had a gruelling time at left back.

Hectic Finish.

Mexborough deserved their 2 —2 draw at Newark, though the game was very disappointing, many chances being missed. McLean put Newark ahead after 23 minutes, and the lead was maintained until twelve minutes from time, when Bungay scored two quick goals. Bennett, however, again placed the teams level. In the closing stages Best, in goal, did well to keep the home side out during determined pressure.

At Barnsley, Scunthorpe United were without Bromage, their goalkeeper, who had been helping during the night in the rescue operations at Bentley Colliery, but Dunn, his deputy, was not at all to blame for the, 6—1 defeat. Barnsley went ahead early in the second half, and afterwards dominated the game. Chivers, who did the “hat trick.” was a lively leader of a strong attack in which Curran and Whiteley were very prominent. Harvey, Ridyard, and Maskill were sound Barnsley defenders, while Cross, Scunthorpe’s rightback gave a sterling display. Other scorers for Barnsley were Young, Harvey, and Maskill (penalty). Scunthorpe’s only goal was obtained by Hubbard.

Brilliant Soutar.

The wonderful goalkeeping of Soutar was a feature of Rotherham United Reserves’ visit to Hull. He repeatedly saved his side when all seemed lost, and Rotherham have him to thank that the defeat was not much heavier than 3 – 2. The side, as a whole, lacked cohesion, but Fantham and Hick, who scored, with Bembridge were outstanding. Diamond (2) and Barley scored for Hull.

Doncaster Rovers Reserves were slightly the better team in rather scrappy game at Lincoln, and won by 2 —1. Potter scored for Doncaster after 20 minutes, but Lincoln equalised a few minutes later through Cartwright from a penalty. Potter again scored for Doncaster just before the interval. The second half was very poor.

Gainsborough Trinity, who have not lost an away match since September 7th, conceded a home point to Notts County Reserves, who made spectacular rally in the closing stages to draw 2—2. Both teams played cleverly, but Trinity might have led by more than 2—0 at the interval but for bad luck and fine saves by Ferguson. Douglas scored both the goals. The County’s attack played strongly in the second half and equalised through Watkins and Maw.

Grantham, at home, with a reconstituted team, played an excellent all round to beat Mansfield Reserves 2 —1. Mansfield started business like fashion, but shot badly. The only goal of the first moiety was scored by Tinklin for Grantham. Hoddinott later increasing the lead. Just on time Mansfield rallied, and Jepson obtained their only goal. Corinthians defeated Boston Loughborough by 5—3. Boston led at half-time, but were defending throughout the second half, and their defence had a gruelling time. Davis (two) and O’Donnell scored for Boston and Dumelow (two), Sullivan, Hackett, and Shaw for the winners.

Frickley Miss Chances.

Chesterfield Reserves were beaten 3—2, but not disgraced at Valley Parade against Bradford City Reserves. In exciting game, Medley (2) and Pegg netted for City, Wraith and Beedall replying. For Chesterfield, Jarvis played exceptionally well in goal, often saving in sensational manner.

A second half lapse by Frickley resulted in Scarborough winning 6 —2 at South Elmsall. Before the interval, Frickley dominated the game, but Wallbanks gave Scarborough the lead. Oakes netted for the Colliery, the referee allowing the goal, but reversing his decision on consulting the linesman. The exchanges were evenly contested after the resumption, but the Seasiders seized their chances to score through Green (2), Wallbanks, Williams, and Hodson. Frickley wasted easy opportunities, but Gibson and Oakes reduced the arrears. Hill was outstanding for the visitors.