Midland League Results – September 05, 1921

5 September 1921

Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 05 September 1921

Denaby Create a Surprise.

Rotherham County Reserves 1  Denaby United  4

Denaby United gave a shock to Rotherham County Reserves on the Millmoor ground by beating them in handsome fashion. The way in which the visitors set about their work came as a surprise. The attack was smart and well ordered, and the wing men, Hill and Wilson, were prominent.

Denaby, however, had not matters all their own way, though they were distinctly the more dangerous force. They were good tacklers and quick on the ball.

In the first half Burkinshaw scored twice for Denaby. After the interval the County played better, but repeated raids were unsuccessful. From a penalty, however, McKenzie cored. Then Denaby got going once more and further goals were credited to Brayshaw and Burkinshaw.

Wath’s Fine Goalkeeper.

Scunthorpe United  2  Wath Athletic  1

Scunthorpe United were full value for their win over Wath Athletic, and how they failed to find the net in the first half is incomprehensible. For practically the whole of the half Wath were on the defensive, and Topham was called upon to save all sorts of shots. Yet it was Wath who scored, and Booth, the old Scunthorpe leftwinger, found the net for them after only five minutes’ play.

It was Wath’s first visit to the home end, and the result a shocking blunder on the part of Brandon and the Scunthorpe backs. It will be a long time before Topham has such a busy time again. He seemed unbeatable. Seven minutes after the interval Gibson (inside-right) equalised for Scunthorpe, and the latter’s play began to deteriorate. Gibson then changed places with Broadhead, the centreforward, and 15 minutes from the end went through on his own and beat Topham with a tremendous drive.

Wombwell’s Late Winning Goal.

Wombwell went further ahead, capping their home victory over Mexborough with another on the latter’s ground. The match yielded only one goal, scored by Foxall two minutes from time. Mexborough were much superior in the first half, but ten minutes after the interval they lost the services of Walker, who was ordered off by the referee, and from this time to the end the game was more even.

Play was very keen, and there was a good deal of roughness. Mexborough had more chances in front of goal than their opponents, but their shooting was poor and Johnson was severely tested only about three times.