Miner Killed at Denaby – Good Man Lost – Fatal Fall

January 1927

Mexborough & Swinton Times, January 21, 1927

Fatal Fall.
Mexborough Miner Killed at Denaby.
Good Man Lost.

An inquest was held by Mr. W. H. Carlisle at the Fullerton Hospital, Denaby, on Monday into the death of Walter Hayes, miner, aged 50, of 49, York Street, Mexboro’, who was killed in the Denaby deep seam of the Denaby and Cadeby Collieries on Saturday by a fall of dirt.

Alice Hayes, wife of deceased, said she last saw her husband alive about 9-30 p.m. on Friday when he was leaving home for work.

Walter Henry Harris, miner, of 89, Blythe Street, Denaby, said he was working with deceased immediately before the accident. Hayes was drawing off waste end props, and witness went to the ‘gate end’ to help the filler with the tubs. He and Hayes had previously attempted to get the props and waste out with a ‘Sylvester’ but could not do so, and deceased was engaged in ‘capping’ the props. Witness when helping the filler heard a bump. Ten seconds later he heard a fall, and shouted to Hayes. He received no answer and witness ran back to the stall. He saw a heap of dirt and stones, and could not see Hayes. He ran to the next stall and shouted for help. Albert Williams, the deputy, answered his call and they got Hayes out after about 30 minutes. He was quite dead.

In reply to the Coroner, witness said they had set safety props along the road. He thought the roof was quite safe. Hayes was usually engaged in ‘drawing off’ when on nights.

Mr. Scott (Inspector if Mines): How many props had you drawn off before the fall? Wight or ten.

There was no necessity for any more timber between those props and the face? – No, only the safety props which were set at the commencement of the shift.

There was no indication of the roof dropping in? – No, sir.

After the accident ?- No.

They were shot-firing previous to the accident. Do you think that would have any effect? – No, sir. The shot-firing operations were about 300 yards away.

Albert Williams, of 15, Bolton Street, Denaby, the deputy in charge said the stall in which Hayes was working was the last on his round to be examined. He was going to examine it when he was called to attend to some shot-firing. Whilst there he heard a fall but could not locate it. He heard Harris shout for help and went to him. ‘T pulled off my jacket and helped with Harris in getting Hayes out. Harris found four of Hayes’s fingers hanging out of the stone. I felt at his pulse but it had stopped.’ He did not think the shot-firing would have any effect because it was too far away.

In reply to Mr. W. Still (manger of the mine), witness said he always found deceased a good workman, and very conscientious.

The night nurse at the Fullerton Hospital said that Hayes was dead when admitted at 4-30 a.m. on Saturday. He was suffering from a fractured skull and injuries to the shoulder. The jury returned a verdict of ‘Accidental death.’

Mr. Still on behalf of the Company expressed sympathy with the relatives. Hayes was an experienced and skilled workman and was liked by the officials and workmen.

Mr. Roberts and the jury also expressed sympathy.