Mitchell Main 72  Denaby and Cadeby 183 for 7 – Mitchell Man Denaby Battle

20 August 1949

South Yorkshire Times August 20, 1949

Cricket Is Reaching its climax

Mitchell Man Denaby Battle

Mitchell Main 72  Denaby and Cadeby 183 for 7

Without five of their star players, including their first four batsmen, Mitchell Main were no match for a Denaby team almost at full strength in their vital Council championship match at Mitchell Main on Saturday, and Denaby romped home to an easy 111 runs victory to complete a “double” over the Wombwell club.

In view of the importance of the match, it was a big disappointment to both home club and visitors alike to find that football clubs Mansfield Town, Bradford City and Rochdale had refused to allow Roy Cooling, Jack Harston and Arnold Bonell to miss the football practice matches so that they could appear in the match. In addition, W. Ratcliffe, Mitchell’s opening bat, was still not available, and Gordon Goldthorpe, first-change fast bowler for Mitchell’s, was away on holiday. Denaby were without Fred Roberts, and his place was taken by Jack Williams. Under these circumstances it was not surprising that Mitchell’s should put up such a dismal show.

Denaby had the advantage of first use of a wicket that looked bare and patchy. After Jim Richards had made 22 out of the first 33 he was caught by Evans off Jim Lavery, but Jack Munden and Arthur Ellis (picture) took the score on to 82 for the second wicket. Steadily the score mounted. and it seemed that fears that the wicket would break up were unfounded. A sign of things to come came when Jack Wroe bowled Jack Williams for only nine. The ball that beat Williams pitched just short of a length, and from then until hitting the wicket never left the ground. Dick Cory got one of a similar sort, and now the wicket was tearing up. As one of the Denaby players said, “Just right for Jack Bullard’s spinners.” How right he proved to be.

Mitchell’s attack lacked the sting we have come to expect. Their fielding was below par, and there was no sign of the ring of fielders clustering round the batsmen. Arthur Ellis seemed set for 50, but when he had made 43 he miss hit a ball from Moore and was well caught by Jim Lavery. Dick Cory was confident and attractive to watch until he got a “squatter” and that was the end of another half-century bids. Cory’s share was 41.

Some lively hitting was seen from Jack Bullard, and a cry of relief went round the field when he was caught by Lavery off Jim Senior.   “T’Bobby’s  out” was the cry as Lavery completed the catch.

With the score 183 for 8, skipper George Allen declared himself satisfied, leaving Mitchell’s a difficult task in view of their shortages.  One wonders whether Allen would have declared at 183 had Mitchell’s been at full strength.

In the bowling, Jack Wroe completed his 50 wickets with 3 for 49, Jim Senior had 2 for 24 and Jim Lavery 2 for 51.

From the first over Mitchell’s were struggling. Opening the innings with Ted Evans, Irving Dunn was caught for a “duck” by Robinson off the first over by ‘ Newton. Billy Hibberd and Evans made a stand of 34, but the arrival of Jack Bullard altered all that. Jumping out to hit Bullard, Hibberd missed the ball and was stumped by Allen. The next wicket was the highlight of the match.

Young Waddington was fielding at silly mid-on during Bullard’s spell of bowling, and when Ted Evans drove the slow bowler the crowd expected a boundary.              Like a flash Waddington shot out his left hand and brought off a brilliant catch.

There was no doubt about the wholehearted applause given by the Mitchell’s Main supporters. When Jack Wroe went, bowled by S. Wragg, the end was in sight. From 60 for 6 the score crept up to 71, Then four wickets fell without addition and Mitchell’s were all out for 71. Top scorers for Mitchell’s were Ted Evans (17), Hibberd (16) and Jack Wroe (16). Both Wragg and Bullard bowled well and each bowled eight overs. Wragg took 5 for 12 and Bullard 4 for 24.