Leeds Mercury – Wednesday 22 March 1911
Mrs. Janet Smith, of New Conisborough, at Doncaster yesterday, was charged under the Children Act, 1908, with having allowed a child to be in a room where there was a fire, but no guard.
Supt. Hickes said that the woman took the coals from the front room of her house to kitchen, but did not take the fire-guard. Whilst she was out her child, aged two years and eleven months, got on fire and died at the Fullerton Hospital.
The case was brought only as a warning to others.
A penalty of 6d. and 7s. 6d. costs was imposed.