South Yorkshire Times, November 10th, 1951
Mr. H. H. Sharp – Former Conisbrough Resident
A memorial service was held at the City Road crematorium, Sheffield, yesterday for Mr. Harold H. Sharp (75), of 46, Muston Road, Filey, and formerly of “Elmhurst”, Conisbrough, who died on Saturday. He was a member of a well-known Conisbrough family, whose association with the district extending nearly 70 years was broken two years ago when Mr. Sharp and his wife left Conisbrough to live in retirement at Filey.
Mr. Sharp went to Conisbrough as a boy. His father came to this district in the 80’s to establish with his son, the well-known Conisbrough coal-factoring business of Messrs. R. H. Sharp and Son Ltd., in High Street, Conisbrough, and this was continued until October 1949 when Mr. Sharp relinquished his connection with the firm which was taken over by Messrs. Polden Ltd., Doncaster.
Mr. Sharp was prime mover in the establishment in 1912 of Conisbrough Recreation Hall of which he was the first secretary. He retained his interest in the Hall up the time of his death and remained an official of the club up to the Second World War years.
Mr. Sharp was a former member of Rotherham Golf Club and an excellent musician. He and other Conisbrough enthusiasts were in the habit of visiting each other’s homes to play chamber music.
He had been married 48 years and is survived by his widow and a number of sons. One son, Mr. Richard L. Sharp B.B.C. War Correspondent in the Far East died suddenly some time ago.
“Elmhurst” was purchased from Mr. Sharp by Conisbrough Urban Council.