Mexborough and Swinton Times January 13, 1928
At 5.30 last Friday night there was a remarkable spectacle on Sheffield Road.
Observing a mass of flame I hastened to investigate and found a whole field of dried grass on fire. It was thought to have been ignited by a spark from a passing steam waggon.
Happily there was no serious damage though at one time the hedges were threatened and had they caught fire things might have been serious for the telegraph and telephone lines ran alongside them with adjacent to the hedges. The fire burned furiously for about half an hour.