Safety Helmets – Recommended by Conisbrough Jury – Protection Against Head Injuries

August 1936

Mexborough and Swinton Times August 7, 1936

Safety Helmets
Recommended by Conisbrough Jury
Protection Against Head Injuries

A strong recommendation that miners should wear safety helmets was made by the jury at the inquest at Conisborough on Friday on John Frederick Parkin, miner, 49 Warmsworth Street, Denaby Main, who received head injuries when a fall off roof occurred at Denaby Main colliery on July 29. The inquest was conducted by the Doncaster district corona (Mr W. H. Carlyle) and the jury returned a verdict of “accidental death”.

Parkin was not wearing a crash helmet, and Dr McArthur said that although he did not consider that the wearing of a crash helmet would have saved Parkin, he woul strongly advise that these helmet should be worn.

Mr G. M. Scott (mines inspector) said that there had been numerous accidents recently where head wounds had been received by miners.

The accident occurred on the conveyor face in the Parkgate seam. There had been shot firing during this shift, but witness did not consider this to be the cause of the fall.

Others present were Mr N. Holy, (manager) and Mr J. T. E. Hulley, representing the Y. M. A. Branch.

Evidence of identification was given by a son, Harold Parkin.

Setting Bars.

Benjamin Robert Benton, 33 Wadsworth Street, Denaby Main, who was working with Parkin, said that Parkin was setting bars when the fall occurred. There was no warning. Witness dragged Parkin from under a long stone which completely covered him, and which had broken into. Parkin was unconscious.

The corona: do you think there shot firing had anything to do with the fall?

Witness: I don’t think it had.

The corona: what makes you say that?

Witness: I think water draining through the roof caused it.

Both the deputy and Parkin had examined the roof.

Mr Scott: Was Parkin wearing a crash helmet?

Witness: No.

Mr Scott: I am surprised at you.

The deputy, Samuel Lote, 8, Tickhill Square, Denaby Main, said he had fired 10 shots near the scene of the accident but he thought the water was the cause of the fall.

The coroner remarked that the shot firing would not improve matters.

Dr McArthur said that Parkin had a double fracture of the skull. He died from laceration of the brain due to the fracture.